Forums / Discussion / General

233,391 total conversations in 7,804 threads

+ New Thread

NFL 2014-15 Season General: Stop Calling It Handegg

Last posted Feb 19, 2015 at 10:31PM EST. Added Aug 07, 2014 at 04:35PM EDT
423 posts from 27 users

>inb4 the Packers are, in turn, screwed by rules/flags next week

God, the Superbowl's going to suck. All perennial playoff teams. I'll have to fall back on my "longer without winning the Superbowl" rule.

>mfw the Patriots have gone the longest without winning

Screw that. I'll go with the Colts.

xTSGx wrote:

God, the Superbowl's going to suck. All perennial playoff teams. I'll have to fall back on my "longer without winning the Superbowl" rule.

I'm still rooting for the Patriots, other than that I am from New England.

xTSGx wrote:

Hey cool, I follow that rule, too. Though I'd like to see Seattle repeat, given the shit they went through in SB40.

WAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOQW;ROGFUIHQ3GQOW[EHFPQIUOERWGPIH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>2013 NFC Championship game
>down 10-3 at half
>Macklemore performs
>win 23-17
>2014 NFC Championship game
>down 16-0 at half
>Alice in Chains performs
>win 28-22 in OT
>Macklemore and Alice in Chains form Seattle supergroup
>perform at every game
>never lose again

That game was the most shocking game I've ever seen…I was shocked as the events as they unraveled. When the Seahawks scored the touchdown, I assumed it was a garbage time score. But when the onside kick happened…I just stared at the TV…followed by the go ahead touchdown…and finally the first possession in overtime. That game…

0.9999...=1 wrote:

>2013 NFC Championship game
>down 10-3 at half
>Macklemore performs
>win 23-17
>2014 NFC Championship game
>down 16-0 at half
>Alice in Chains performs
>win 28-22 in OT
>Macklemore and Alice in Chains form Seattle supergroup
>perform at every game
>never lose again

Alice in Chains…most certainly better music for a halftime show than what the Super Bowl's gonna give us.

Daft Punkjet wrote:

Alice in Chains…most certainly better music for a halftime show than what the Super Bowl's gonna give us.

"…why is the halftime show always some pussy pop group? Get Metallica in there or something, it doesn't make any sense!" – The Angry Video Game Nerd

Pro Bowl:

Team Carter (AFC) vs. Team Irvin (NFC) on Sunday, January 25th at 7:00 PM CT

Super Bowl XLIX:

1. New England Patriots vs. 1. Seattle Seahawks on Sunday, February 1st at 5:30 PM CT

>Patriots win 45-7
>might have cheated
Is this going to end up like Watergate where they didn't actually need to cheat to win?

It does bring up an interesting question: what would the NFL do if they discovered a team cheated to win a playoff game? Would they replay the game? Disqualify the team and advance the losing team? Say "screw it, we'll deal with it at the next owners' meeting"?

xTSGx wrote:

>Patriots win 45-7
>might have cheated
Is this going to end up like Watergate where they didn't actually need to cheat to win?

It does bring up an interesting question: what would the NFL do if they discovered a team cheated to win a playoff game? Would they replay the game? Disqualify the team and advance the losing team? Say "screw it, we'll deal with it at the next owners' meeting"?

Well, knowing Goodell…

Well, I've heard that Gronk helped a family move an old couch and that Wilfork saved someone's life. I'd rather have members of my favorite team do good things for the community but "cheat" rather than bad eggs who "play fair."

People are so focused on negativity, controversy this and "scandalgate" that. The Colts got their asses kicked fair and square. I saw the game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2332444-rob-gronkowski-helps-deliver-furniture-to-single-mom
http://www.wcvb.com/news/vince-wilfork-helps-driver-trapped-in-roll-over-crash/30799336

Yeah, I'm a Patriots fan because I have cheered for the team for a long time and I'm a born and raised New Englander.

Raptured Asylum wrote:

Well, I've heard that Gronk helped a family move an old couch and that Wilfork saved someone's life. I'd rather have members of my favorite team do good things for the community but "cheat" rather than bad eggs who "play fair."

People are so focused on negativity, controversy this and "scandalgate" that. The Colts got their asses kicked fair and square. I saw the game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2332444-rob-gronkowski-helps-deliver-furniture-to-single-mom
http://www.wcvb.com/news/vince-wilfork-helps-driver-trapped-in-roll-over-crash/30799336

Yeah, I'm a Patriots fan because I have cheered for the team for a long time and I'm a born and raised New Englander.

So… are you already surrendering to the idea that they did cheat? Dude, there's still at least a good chance that they're innocent of any wrong doing. But glad to know that you're fine with your team committing a conspiracy to tilt the game in their favor by manipulating the equipment.
Also, if you want to talk about a bunch of do-gooders, I think the Seahawks can outdo that.

0.9999...=1 wrote:

So… are you already surrendering to the idea that they did cheat? Dude, there's still at least a good chance that they're innocent of any wrong doing. But glad to know that you're fine with your team committing a conspiracy to tilt the game in their favor by manipulating the equipment.
Also, if you want to talk about a bunch of do-gooders, I think the Seahawks can outdo that.

No, not necessarily surrendering nor complacent. Considering there are lots of haters and conspiracy theorists who really need to get a life, get laid, or find a hobby. As a Patriots fan, I know people are going to make up silly rumors and all we can do is just brush it aside or say that they're "jealous." This will go on for the next five years! Maybe it was by mistake that some balls were not inflated properly? I think the NFL needs to worry more on other controversies like Ray Rice or the Redskins because that reflects on larger problems in society.

but if you'd like a little humor on #deflategate:

Besides, Sports players are often supposedly "role models" or whatever catchy and borderline brainwashing buzzword society uses to indoctrinate children. (As the conspiracy theorists would put.) But it is good to know that there are good eggs on the Seahawks' roster. I never had a role model growing up despite being just another sports crazy New England chick. I only figured out what a role model was in sixth grade when I had to do an essay for MCAS prep.The result: my parents were called into a meeting with my social worker and my teachers. Moving on.

I'm still cheering for the New England Patriots.

1. Well to be fair, I think people who use words like "hater" unironically need to get a life.
2. "Jealousy" might not be the right term, considering that seven different teams have won a Lombardi since the last time the Patriots did.
3. Don't throw that lazy fallacy of relative privation at me. I'm sure the NFL has the ability to investigate all kinds of controversies at once, whether of the "bullshit political correctness" or "deliberately manipulate the most important item in the sport for your team's benefit" kinds. Now whether they can investigate without fucking it up is a whole different question…
4. Again, no one is saying that they actually absolutely did it. And though you claim to be aware of that, your post reeks of a guilt complex. No one's asking you to not root for the team you grew up with either. But ask yourself this- do you know which quarterback led the Patriots to their first Super Bowl appearance? Who did they loose to? When? And so on and so forth.

But ask yourself this- do you know which quarterback led the Patriots to their first Super Bowl appearance? Who did they loose to? When? And so on and so forth.

Redskins fan, but they lost to da burrs in Superb Owl XX with Tony Eason starting, who went 0-6 passing and was pulled in favor of Steve Grogan. Not that it did the Pats any favors.

Jersey Jimmy wrote:

But ask yourself this- do you know which quarterback led the Patriots to their first Super Bowl appearance? Who did they loose to? When? And so on and so forth.

Redskins fan, but they lost to da burrs in Superb Owl XX with Tony Eason starting, who went 0-6 passing and was pulled in favor of Steve Grogan. Not that it did the Pats any favors.

So… you watch NFL Top 10 too?

0.9999...=1 wrote:

So… you watch NFL Top 10 too?

No (is it a show?). I just read stats on the internet, watch old games on Game Rewind, that kinda stuff. Also: no, nobody ever asked Doug Williams how long he had been a black quarterback.

Raptured Asylum said:

Maybe it was by mistake that some balls were not inflated properly?

One ball, alright, probably got a hole during the game. Three balls, maybe the cold air did something to them. But eleven of the twelve? There's coincidence, and then there's putting tape on the doorknobs to keep them from getting locked.

I think the NFL needs to worry more on other controversies…

I feel that the most important controversy a sports organization needs to worry about and investigate to the fullest extent is a team cheating to get to the championship game. Probably the only thing worse is a team cheating in the championship game.

If anything, this shows the NFL needs to have total control over the balls. This whole "teams send in their balls" is probably an artifact from the 1800s that isn't needed in this day and age. Hopefully the owners will address this--and that damn Calvin Johnson rule--the next time they swim in their pools full of money have a meeting.

>deflatriots
Oh god, /sp/'s rekking my sides right now.

Last edited Jan 21, 2015 at 01:04AM EST

xTSGx wrote:

If anything, this shows the NFL needs to have total control over the balls.

Actually, you seem to be misinformed. Look at this shit from the NYT:

The rules governing balls are clear. Every ball must be manufactured by Wilson Sporting Goods and have the commissioner’s signature on it. The urethane bladder inside the ball must be inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds of pressure and be made of a tan, pebble-grain leather case. The ball can be 11 to 11.25 inches point to point, 28 to 28.5 inches at its widest and weigh 14 to 15 ounces.

The referees inspect the dozen game balls that each team selects 2 hours 15 minutes before the game. In inclement weather, teams also bring a dozen backup balls to be tested as well. The balls remain in the referee’s possession until just before the game, when they are delivered to the ball boys on the sideline.

To prevent teams from overinflating balls to make them more buoyant -- an advantage for kickers -- special “k-balls” are shipped from Wilson directly to the stadium and opened by the referee before the game. The k-balls are used exclusively for kicking plays.

If the home team -- in this case, the Patriots -- is found to have any balls that do not conform to specifications, the referee can get a proper ball from the visitors. “Any such circumstances must be reported to the commissioner,” the N.F.L. rule book states.

“In case of rain or a wet, muddy or slippery field, a playable ball shall be used at the request of the offensive team’s center,” the rules continue.

Oh no good sir, the NFL is fucking OCD with their balls.

How in the forty-two circles of hell the Patriots could have pulled this ruse off is the real question.

Last edited Jan 21, 2015 at 03:17AM EST

Somewhat related to deflated balls, Marshawn Lynch got fined 20G's for grabbing his own during a touchdown celebration in the NFC title game.

This obviously means the NFL does not want this as part of their league. And I'm OK with that. A little strict, but I get it.

With that said,

The NFL is making money off of said balls.

A picture of Marshawn Lynch "supporting" his balls is included in this collage at bottom left (which can be yours for just $149.99!)

In all fairness, they did remove it. But they probably would have kept it up there just as much as they would have kept Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson on the field if no one had made a big fuss about it.

Last edited Jan 25, 2015 at 07:38PM EST

josie wrote:

Somewhat related to deflated balls, Marshawn Lynch got fined 20G's for grabbing his own during a touchdown celebration in the NFC title game.

This obviously means the NFL does not want this as part of their league. And I'm OK with that. A little strict, but I get it.

With that said,

The NFL is making money off of said balls.

A picture of Marshawn Lynch "supporting" his balls is included in this collage at bottom left (which can be yours for just $149.99!)

In all fairness, they did remove it. But they probably would have kept it up there just as much as they would have kept Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson on the field if no one had made a big fuss about it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!