Forums / Fun! / Memeory Lane

63,534 total conversations in 189 threads

Locked Locked
[General] 2016 U.S. Presidential Election General

Last posted Jan 01, 2017 at 06:26PM EST. Added Aug 01, 2015 at 05:35PM EDT
2929 posts from 147 users

I know, I meant you actually are knowledgeable on the issue.
Yeah, he did. Whoo man, Trump is actually refining his arguments.
Fiorina was blinking like someone through sand in her eyes during that statement about the firings. Either she's got dry eyes or she's trying to deceive us, I think. Comparing Fiorina to Kasich, she's blinking ridiculously more often, and he's still blinking a lot. Just weird.
Yes, lets lift everyone up by making everyone better, that certainly won't lead to a de-valuing of skills meaning everyone will continue to get the same wage. Genius.

Last edited Sep 16, 2015 at 09:45PM EDT

^ bruh they're debating, that's literally the point. I need to know how these people differ from each other. The personal attacks have been minimal from Trump besides Rand Paul taking the bait near the beginning.

{ PP does do a myriad of things besides the controversial stuff. Would you be in support of it if said controversial stuff was not part of their program? }

No. I feel starting from scratch is not only better personally, but I think the further-right Republicans would have a much easier time accepting and properly funding a place that doesn't have so much stigma attached.

PP is not the only low-cost option for women's healthcare, and they don't provide the #1 most important diagnostic test- the mammogram- at all. They only provide a list of low-cost places tog et one near by, which any government health agency also provides. They only do 400-500k genuine health services per year across the whole nation, like pap smears and actual family planning services. Their main purpose is giving birth control to kids for free, which high schools do now anyway (and so do gyno offices, one more reason women should be seen by doctors in clinics with cleanliness and quality standards actually regulated by law and regularly inspected).

Fiorina is slaying. Her numbers are going up for sure.

UGHHHH MY DOGS apparently need to go out. Post if someone says something good!

nvm they started talking economics I'm making the pooches wait. This is where Walker gets my vote.

Last edited Sep 16, 2015 at 09:43PM EDT

Fiorina is an EXCELLENT talker. I hope she's a good worker.
Calling a countries leader a "gangster" will not help raise relations with them. Given our relationship with Russia is already strained, we need to talk softly and carry a big stick.
Why are Republicans so intent on keeping themselves out of being influenced by other nations but love to mess with other nations?? (Fair enough response, Lisa.)
Hey, politicians, you know who else is afraid of the sky? The families of the civilians you killed with drones ^^

Last edited Sep 16, 2015 at 10:15PM EDT

Can you guys even imagine being a Democrat who hasn't been able to debate at all yet, hasn't been able to address any of these issues or respond at all, while the GOP has already had two hours long debates to get their positions out there?

Trump x Carson 5eva

Leaders make moves, they don't follow them. GOP wants USA to be the foreign policy leader. Syria is an issue that needs a leader to take control at this point, this is no longer a matter that's being contained to one region.

John Roberts is going senile. The whole Supreme Court is corrupt. We should have some kind of Survival: Judges edition to pick SC justices instead of having them indefinitely appointed.

Last edited Sep 16, 2015 at 10:19PM EDT

For – okay, marijuana is a SIMPLE issue. It's not that dangerous. It's certainly not LSD dangerous like the FDA has it classified. Why is this such an issue? It's less dangerous than alcohol! Yes the war on drugs has been bad. Mandatory minimums anyone? Please just get this simple issue right…
Oh boy, climate change! This'll be fun.
Vaccine pushback? Must be big government! – Carson
The neurosurgeon: There's no medical correlation
The business tycoon: haha look at this moron I'm way smarter than him lol
How reagenesque are they? Probably none.
Yeah, that was a good choice, Huckabee's wife. Who else could put up with him?

Last edited Sep 16, 2015 at 10:55PM EDT

This is the number one generational issue. Christie et al are War on Drugs generation. That's like a second religion for the older GOP, Rand Paul can only keep hammering the 10th Amendment hypocrisy point and get them to slightly back down at best.

god help me I can't climate question goodbye. It's as bad as when they ask about God.

Why doesn't Christie point out that we're fucking giving Iran the ability to expand their nuclear capabilities for energy purposes but the USA wants to not??? Somebody please!!

Ben Carson plz save us.

Last edited Sep 16, 2015 at 10:46PM EDT

I wonder if major politicians, senators, etc. even know that alcohol is also a drug, a depressant. Caffeine too, a stimulant, though it's irrelevant to point out a tablespoon could kill you when nobody does that. So are they arguing against cannabis for traditional reasons or for Timber reasons?

Kurt Warner's Ghost wrote:

ehhh the only reason I'd really want to mess with our money is if we revamp the whole thing to make it all prettier, with a whole new cast if they want. Our money is soooo uninteresting.

go scott walker.
take your poll numbers back

I'm so excited for the polls after this. I feel like we might see a bit of a shakeup starting here.

She's able to present her position really competently and clearly, it's that businesswoman experience.

Last edited Sep 16, 2015 at 11:15PM EDT

Change… our… history? We aren't changing our history any more than when we revamped the penny, Fiorina.
Another Trump high-five. Gif it! No gif? aw :c
Fiorina is an excellent talker. If she is actually competent as president I'd support her in a minute, I think.
Yes, the polls will probably be much different. Trump is moronic, Carson was nice, Fiorina was exceptional. I think Trump will fall, Fiorina and Kasich will go up, Rand Paul will probably end up going down. If anyone was listening to the earlier debate, Jindal might go up also.

Last edited Sep 16, 2015 at 11:15PM EDT

Ann Coulter is going all out on Twatter holy shit

Also I don't know how anyone can support Carly at this point, her foreign policy actions will lead straight to World War 3 with Russia.

Last edited Sep 16, 2015 at 11:38PM EDT

Always Right wrote:

Ann Coulter is going all out on Twatter holy shit

Also I don't know how anyone can support Carly at this point, her foreign policy actions will lead straight to World War 3 with Russia.

I can only imagine the diarrhea pouring out her mouth about the clownfest of the century.

Freakenstein wrote:

I wonder if major politicians, senators, etc. even know that alcohol is also a drug, a depressant. Caffeine too, a stimulant, though it's irrelevant to point out a tablespoon could kill you when nobody does that. So are they arguing against cannabis for traditional reasons or for Timber reasons?

You don't understand what the government is going for here. Both tobacco and alcohol are drugs that are very potentially dangerous in their own ways, yet they remain legal. That's because the government cares about money, not the well-being of its citizens. Tax revenue and lobbyist "donations" (read: bribes) are enough incentive to keep those two drugs legal, and if cannabis is ever legalized, it will be for monetary reasons.

Freakenstein wrote:

I can only imagine the diarrhea pouring out her mouth about the clownfest of the century.

It's an odd mix of interesting observations (why did so many talk about Israel when asked what America would be like if they became president???) and, well, Ann Coulter being Ann Coulter.

Last edited Sep 17, 2015 at 12:11AM EDT

lisalombs wrote:

Liberalism, you're letting your mental disorder show itt right now

I dunno, considering how the debate that went down, Conservatism is the mental disorder right now.

He said the only thing he'd do legally is make doctors spread out vaccinations over a longer period, which Ben Carson supported. Pretty moderate, agreeable opinion to insta-tank a campaign, especially compared to Rand Paul who said he wanted to give parents the right to opt out of vaccines altogether.

Don't downvote me 'cause ya'll have dumbass double standards Libertarians sure are great, the right to choose to neglect medical responsibility~ instant lose, Rand Paul.

Drudge poll update:

Last edited Sep 17, 2015 at 10:50AM EDT

Judging from the online reaction, it looks like Trump fans claim he won and everyone else thinks Fiorina won. Except for liberals, who hate everything said by everyone, so whatevs.

Last edited Sep 17, 2015 at 04:56PM EDT

Trump has the most expected voters so he'll win the polls regardless. Carly made a seriously impressive leap into third just behind Carson in key state NH. I'm really depressed my boy Walker barely budged. He was so solid on fiscal policy and education.

I know, my friend out in Iowa texted me a little while ago. He's called for a press conference tonight. Thanks Trump.

Last edited Sep 21, 2015 at 05:44PM EDT

lisalombs wrote:

I know, my friend out in Iowa texted me a little while ago. He's called for a press conference tonight. Thanks Trump.

Trump has fired 2 candidates so far, the only threats that remain within the party are the race traitor Jeb!, the black man, and the woman. They too will be fired. Witness our God-Emperor Trump as he ascends to power.

Old Man GigaChad wrote:

Trump has fired 2 candidates so far, the only threats that remain within the party are the race traitor Jeb!, the black man, and the woman. They too will be fired. Witness our God-Emperor Trump as he ascends to power.

I'd say Kasich and Paul are still threats. They both make it near the top of non-Republican's favorite Republican lists, and are more level headed. We still have over a year left so let's not assume the polls won't change.

Old Man GigaChad wrote:

He has yet to activate his nanomachines too.

Mom Rivers wrote:

I'd say Kasich and Paul are still threats. They both make it near the top of non-Republican's favorite Republican lists, and are more level headed. We still have over a year left so let's not assume the polls won't change.

Kasich is pretty smart to focus on New Hampshire than the Clouded Climate in Iowa…

Jorgan the Sneedfule wrote:

I remember you earlier saying that you were against Paul because he was "liberal in all the wrong places". Care to elaborate on that point and what you have against Paul in general?

Paul wears a stupid hat with a flower on it and is unsupportive of Carl's ambitions.

Sure, above all else he's an isolationist in a time when taking back our support has led to a terrorist caliphate the size of a legitimate country. He's made terrible ecological votes on the basis that the government shouldn't regulate land at all, interfering in legitimate conservation efforts for necessary species. His fiscal policy is too typically conservative where it should be more liberal, completely rejecting tax increases altogether and failing to address corporate loopholes. And I don't think he's mature enough. He's the only one who consistently takes Trump's bait. An older President brings more foreign policy respect anyway.

Trump debuted his tax plan today

Highlights:

• Eliminate federal income tax on single households earning under $25k and couples earning less than $50k
  • The highest individual income tax rate would be 25%
  • Eliminate and reduce loopholes and deductions for high-income taxpayers
  • Tax all business income at an even 15%
  • End the "carried interest" tax rate that lets investment-fund managers pay a lower rate on their compensation
  • Enforce a one-time tax of 10% on oversea profits which compels businesses to bring the $2 TRILLION sitting in offshore accounts back to the USA
  • Immediately impose a tax on oversea earnings of American corporations, which are currently able to be deferred
  • Outlines a plan to condense and simplify the tax code and filing process

Grover Norquist, the nation's most adamant anti-tax critic and founder/president of Americans for Tax Reform (which has also reviewed the plan), has given the plan his blessings and said it would allow for "jobs, jobs, jobs" and "make us competitive worldwide".

Eliminate federal income tax on single households earning under $25k and couples earning less than $50k

Fantastic!

The highest individual income tax rate would be 25%

Too low for those too high. 1970s taxes were higher, and we were doing swimmingly.

Eliminate and reduce loopholes and deductions for high-income taxpayers

Fantastic!

Tax all business income at an even 15%

Hurts small businesses, extremely helps corporations. Flat taxes are never a good idea; I'm appalled that people still practice them.

End the “carried interest” tax rate that lets investment-fund managers pay a lower rate on their compensation

Fantastic!

Enforce a one-time tax of 10% on oversea profits which compels businesses to bring the $2 TRILLION sitting in offshore accounts back to the USA

I'm not entirely sure what one-time tax means, but I'm glad somebody is doing something against Off-shore accounts. This situation is getting ridiculous.

Immediately impose a tax on oversea earnings of American corporations, which are currently able to be deferred

Fantastic!

Outlines a plan to condense and simplify the tax code and filing process

This is good, but I think several candidates are doing that.

Overall, I say this was a "good, bad sandwich" of possibilities. I'm actually impressed. Much better than I expected from somebody like Trump. Assuming he goes through with it.

Last edited Sep 28, 2015 at 07:07PM EDT

Newest national poll says Bernie Sanders is 7 points behind Hillary. Until he surpasses her this is the last time I'm posting in this thread.

{ Too low for those too high. 1970s taxes were higher, and we were doing swimmingly. }

We still had major corporate loopholes and deductions in the 70s. His whole populist persona centers around the elite corporate business class paying more and the working class (all of the working class) paying less.

{ Hurts small businesses, extremely helps corporations. Flat taxes are never a good idea; I’m appalled that people still practice them. }

15% is what the lowest corporate tax bracket pays now, and the big corporations are getting hit hard in other areas of his plan.

{ I’m not entirely sure what one-time tax means, but I’m glad somebody is doing something against Off-shore accounts. This situation is getting ridiculous. }

It means instead of paying 5% on the first $X of your profits and 20% on the next $X of your profits and 50% on the next $X of your profits and so on, if you leave the money in the USA it will all be annually taxed at 10%. The idea being that at a flat 10% the country is still making a shit ton more in taxes than letting all that money sit offshore unreachable.

That's also what Grover Norquist means by "makes us competitive worldwide". Every other first world country taxes corporate profits at a far lower rate than we do, thus no fucking duh they're moving elsewhere. Lowering the rate should cause the other incentives that make America a good place to run a business outweigh what they'll have to pay to actually run their business here.

I went and found the business tax bracket for the curious. This applies to the second question above as well.

So you can see how owning a bigger-than-small business but smaller-than-fortune-500 can get real complicated real fast.

Last edited Sep 28, 2015 at 07:30PM EDT

It means instead of paying 5% on the first $X of your profits and 20% on the next $X of your profits and 50% on the next $X of your profits and so on, if you leave the money in the USA it will all be annually taxed at 10%. The idea being that at a flat 10% the country is still making a shit ton more in taxes than letting all that money sit offshore unreachable.

Okay, I can see that. If you make the taxes more economically feasible to give it to the government instead of spending money on an offshore account, then it benefits both parties. We get the benefits of corporate taxes, they get less tax deductions.

lisalombs wrote:

Bernie Sanders tells Latino lawmakers undocumented immigrants should benefit from Obamacare

*some undocumented immigrants
I don't understand his perspective on this one, and I normally understand his point of view.
Okay, he believes universal healthcare is a right. I don't agree, but I understand. But Obamacare isn't universal healthcare, as far as I'm aware (Obamacare is one of the issues I don't know much about), so I don't know how he could make that jump. It seems like it'd be a better idea to say "I'm going to expand Obamacare to universal healthcare, and it'll be open to everyone in the country, including undocumented immigrants!" It's far-fetched, but it sounds better and makes more logical sense, at least to me.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!