Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,849 total conversations in 4,537 threads

+ New Thread

We need to fix Vinesauce Joel entry

Last posted Jan 26, 2016 at 10:59AM EST. Added Jan 25, 2016 at 02:25PM EST
27 posts from 14 users

So Joel expressed his disdain for the Vinesauce Joel entry on Vinny's Portal 2 stream. You can check for yourself at 2:50:45 on the stream here (you'll need Retwitch to see it).

While I get that KYM gets things wrong from time to time, when it comes to entries on real people, it's probably best it's researched very carefully. I may not know exactly all the incorrect statements made in the entry myself, but I wanted to get this out here.

If he send us an email then I didn't receive so odds are he did it through the contact form, which is only received by the staff. Best would be to use the Suggestion feature on the article itself so that more folks are aware of it. Then again, I was informed what was in the email later. It was only complaining about a few things, all which are also openly available on the Vinesauce Wikia.

And even then, the message "don't write such a shit article" isn't magically helping anyone. We'd be more than happy to fix incorrect information, but we need to know what's wrong first.

gg, no re

Last edited Jan 25, 2016 at 02:52PM EST

Synge wrote:

We're already in talks with him about fixing it. Just hold your horses little one.

Sorry about sounding too apprehensive. I just have a thing against having false information spread about people. But glad to hear we're getting that done.

It's a bit childish to say an entry is badly researched (even if it's from the person we are researching themselves) without really saying what's wrong with it. We're not professionals in any way, so it's not going to have all of the right information. With what RandomMan said, Joel should really check on the Vinesauce wiki to see if the information there is valid or not. Often times we have to use Wikis as reference to write entries on people or subcultures.

That said, this is a great opportunity to get more information for the entry with Joel himself as the main source.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I recommend we expand on the entry. Let's capture his extreme butthurt over his bitchfit regarding internet fame, or some shit.

We should change parts of the entry if he gives good enough reasons, and obviously get rid of any false information.
Aside from that, I think he's handled all this really badly. Getting angry and just spamming "CANCER HOLY SHIT" really isn't making it easier for anyone to communicate with him and solve the problem.

Last edited Jan 25, 2016 at 11:29PM EST

Umm yeah can we keep the "Jobel saltyness circlejerk" thingy in this thread? Indeed his response was extremely amateurish and yeah sure some people would mock it (hell even viewers on the portal2 stream has mocked him for being salty), but no need to fill this thread with that kind of thing. This is supposed to be an actual discussion for the entry. To fix whatever is wrong with it..(?)

Last edited Jan 25, 2016 at 11:49PM EST

Aside from that, I think he’s handled all this really badly. Getting angry and just spamming “CANCER HOLY SHIT” really doesn’t make me want to stay on his side in this situation.

I agree.

He could have pointed out what needed to be changed or made a suggestion and we would have done it. Instead, we got a tantrum about how shit we are.

If you are going to make a request, do it in a proper and respecteful way first.

To be honest, and sorry if some of you feel offended, but I don't feel any animosity for this fella. I just hope he can contribute without getting his pants in a knot.

Anyways we are derailing the thread, I think I'm gonna make one in general and move this discussion there.

This is supposed to be an actual discussion.

Ah sorry, moving the discussion out of here.

Last edited Jan 25, 2016 at 11:41PM EST

This whole situation has caused quite a kerfuffle, with multiple users/mods PMing him, posting on his walls, or trying to contact him in other ways in an attempt to set things straight.
It's great that so many people are trying to solve the problem, but it's better to plan out what we're going to say instead of having 50 people contact him all at once. Nobody is sure what anyone else is saying, and we can't have a single moderator or user representing KYM on their own.
I'm sure there will be situations like this in the future, and I just wanted to say that we should probably plan out a PM or message and work on solving the situation together instead of doing whatever happened this time 'round.

we can’t have a single moderator or user representing KYM on their own.

We don't and we won't. Don said he was going to take care of it himself and that we should not pry in.

As for future cases, Don or anyone from the staff should take hands in the matter. Mods and users alike should stay clean from this.

Ah right right, this is thread is for the entry. I suggest making a new one though.

Don't worry guys, I was reached out by a mod and luckily I was granted editor status to fix some of the stuff on here

I just want to highlight how crazy it is to quote the "vinesauce wiki"

I don’t know why this was quoted as a source or even mentioned at all. I can’t tell you how wrong everything is on this joke of a “wiki”. The best example “He was on the /d/ boards, and saw a post which advertised Vinny’s Spore stream” if you’re not familiar, the /d/ board is a 4chan board for hentai, specifically dickgirls. Probably the worst quoted source I’ve ever seen, hell its not even a source. Its as unofficial as “my dad works at Nintendo”. Don’t use this, we have nothing to do with it.

Thanks again guys <3

Last edited Jan 26, 2016 at 03:08AM EST

I also think removing the towel part is incredibly biased Joel. I understand your concern but it has a significant impact on your fanbase.
We just document. If you are removing critical and related infos to not "Give attention", that is no any good. I hope we can somehow settle this and not turn this into an edit war.

The rest of it seems fine. Yeah, why we didn't add a grand dad section before? Good call.
Oh hey btw.. We can also mention the Duane! as well. What do you people say? (I added it. It is kinda bare but.. Meh)

Last edited Jan 26, 2016 at 07:52AM EST

Oh, didn't see he removed the Towel header.

Readded it. It's fine to dislike the hacker but we're not here to appeal to personal bias.

Last edited Jan 26, 2016 at 08:34AM EST

Again Joel? You are aware that you are censoring the entry right? Huh.. Come on. I am sure you are reasonable. Please think of what you are doing.
Can you pleeeasse, pleease explain why isn't that noteworthy? It is not even a big deal as you think. You are making a fuss on absolutely nothing.

Last edited Jan 26, 2016 at 10:12AM EST

Randomman did a good compromise on the page, if it has to be documented then doing it the way randomman formatted it is something I'm at least not vehemently against.

Could we also keep this to my article alone? Having such a enormous entry on the main Vinesauce page overshadows all of our content, videos and general knowledge of the site. It'd good to isolate it to my article alone.

thegreato wrote:

Old AF meme.

But I think it's appropriate. This could have EASIALLY turned into a shitstorm.

I'm glad it's worked out the way it has so far.

I have to agree. I expected to be a lot worse.

But in the end it turned out pretty good. No such drama and all.

also Vargskelethor, what do you think of the entry in the current state? What would you think of having an entry in the first place? Are you angry at me for creating it?

Also if anything needs to be changed, just tell us.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!