Forums / Discussion / Q & A

3,281 total conversations in 496 threads

+ New Thread

"Don't use the entry name as a tag"

Last posted Jun 17, 2016 at 01:51AM EDT. Added Jun 09, 2016 at 09:32AM EDT
11 posts from 10 users

There is a rule that, quite frankly, I've been bluntly ignoring ever since it was introduced. Whenever you upload a new image, it says that you shouldn't use the entry name as a tag. Why?

The point of the tags is to make it easier to search for images. And the entry name is usually the most relevant keyphrase for an image, since it is usually the name of the meme or the TV show or the event that spawned said image – in most cases, it makes no sense not to add it, especially since the rules also tell you to specify the source and context of an image. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to find an instance of a particular meme with a particular character, because while the character is tagged, the meme isn't; you wouldn't be able to find a particular artist's drawing of a particular show or comic, because while the artist is tagged, the subculture isn't; etc.

I've always assumed that this was just a means to stop people who just lazily put the entry name and nothing else in the tags, that there is an unspoken "only" in the rule. That it's okay to use the entry name as a tag as long as you provide other relevant tags, which is what I always do. And seeing how many others (mods included) do the same, and that I have never received a comment or a warning from a mod telling me otherwise, I always thought that my assumption is correct. However, occasionally I notice that some scrapbooker would edit my image and remove the entry name.

So I thought I should finally come here and openly ask if it's really okay (and if no, then why the hell not?!), to clarify this matter once and for all.

Last edited Jun 09, 2016 at 09:36AM EDT

You don't need to put the entry name in the tags because when you search the name of the entry every single image in it is counted.

AKA if I looked up "Overwatch" every image in the Overwatch gallery would appear regardless if Overwatch is in the tags or not. You are essentially just adding a duplicate tag which does nothing.

Last edited Jun 09, 2016 at 10:03AM EDT

That rule is for users who only tag with the entry name and nothing else. It's ok to put it with other tags.

You don’t need to put the entry name in the tags because when you search the name of the entry every single image in it is counted.

Yeah, that happens when you use the searchbar, but when you do a tag search they won't appear. There's been times where I've missed several images for moving due that reason.

Imo it doesn't hurt to put the tag there, but of course you need to add more stuff.

TillsterRulz wrote:

You don't need to put the entry name in the tags because when you search the name of the entry every single image in it is counted.

AKA if I looked up "Overwatch" every image in the Overwatch gallery would appear regardless if Overwatch is in the tags or not. You are essentially just adding a duplicate tag which does nothing.

No, you are confusing regular search and the usage of tags. When you simply use the searchbar, it looks for information in all fields – tags, titles, entry name, notes, etc. For example, searching "star wars" will give you all the images in the Star Wars gallery, but it may also give you a completely unrelated image that has "Shipping wars" in the title and "Source: im-a-star.site.com" in the notes. Searching by tags is more specific, but it won't work if you don't tag your Star Wars image with a "star wars" tag.

A few if is mods actually recently had this discussion in the IRC, and came to the conclusion that as long as you use more than the entry name, it's fine, and possibly even encouraged. We can try to get that changed or removed here soon.

Roy G. Biv wrote:

So then shouldn't we use the entry name as a tag, as long as we are tagging responsibily and using multiple relevant tags?

You shouldn't use the entry name as the only tag.

It's fine to have, as long as it's accompied by more.

Last edited Jun 09, 2016 at 05:54PM EDT

I second that motion with Cold Hard Crash. Currently, "Don't use the entry name as a tag" sounds like you shouldn't use the entry name as a tag at all. I didn't realize you can use the entry name as tag, provided that it isn't the only tag for quite a long time until the ShiJo cleared up in the Tagging Plooza Thread.

Last edited Jun 12, 2016 at 12:51PM EDT

According to me

“Don’t use the entry name as a tag” means you cannot put your name for tagging.

"Don’t use the entry name as the only tag”? this sounds other-way, which means you are allowed to put your entry name as tag and to some other places also.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!