Forums / Fun! / Forum Games

64,527 total conversations in 719 threads

+ New Thread

Come up with yor own Mecha Anime but...

Last posted Aug 13, 2019 at 12:35PM EDT. Added Aug 02, 2019 at 09:20PM EDT
19 posts from 12 users

Come up with your own mecha anime, but it has to have a ridiculous quirk or gimmick that makes it almost totally ridiculous to look at.

My entry: A mecha anime but because giant robots are stupid heavy, they have no armour and avoid taking damage by moving and dancing like Jamiroquai to avoid bullets and projectiles.

Sounds like a more ludonarrative resonant Armoured Core, jumping around all over the place spraying bullets at each other
or at least in each other's general direction.

My take on a mecha anime would be removing all firearms so that they all use melee weaponry such as swords, spears, and fists to fight each other

and they're effeminately-shaped

Idol-competition with bulky and/or battlemech-style mechas. Rather than having the pilots do the dancing and singing it is instead done by their respective machines instead (while the pilots actually sing and control; the audience just hears what comes out of the mechs' loudspeakers/vocoders). Competitions themselves may or may not have the use of live-fire weaponry.

Last edited Aug 03, 2019 at 06:10AM EDT

Sugary Salt wrote:

Sounds like a more ludonarrative resonant Armoured Core, jumping around all over the place spraying bullets at each other
or at least in each other's general direction.

My take on a mecha anime would be removing all firearms so that they all use melee weaponry such as swords, spears, and fists to fight each other

and they're effeminately-shaped

Have you heard of Cyber Troopers: Virtual-On?

It has a few effeminate (read: magical girl) mechas and all of them have a melee option even if it's a weak one.

My personal favorite entry for the series is the second in the franchise: Cyber Troopers:Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram. Most consider it the high-point of the series. It was released on the Dreamcast, Xbox 360 and PS4 via PSN if memory serves correctly.

It takes place in what can be described as a second Dark Age for humanity once we colonize the stars. The Main Character of the series grew up on a mining colony where giant robots are used to mine minerals. He decides to pilot his families mech to protect themselves from space pirates. It turns into the MC trying to reunite his entire system under a singular banner and protect it from space pirates and other stuff.

Ok cool idea, but what's the goofy meme part that can't be taken seriously?

The whole giant robots for mining part did remind me of LEGO's attempt at a mecha series: EXO-FORCE. In the lore robots and mecha were used for mining, but the robots did the usual robot-uprising and we end up with Lego anime minifigures getiing into mecha fights with robots. An interesting premise, but not explored to it's full potential due to it being an underappreciated (by the execs) Lego theme.
Personally, I enjoyed the flash games more than the sets. Well, off to play Sentai Showdown, despite it's simplicity I still find it moderately entertaining.

Kappapeachie wrote:

mecha but the pilots control them via vr headsets (and they're oblivious to the fact it's for real and not a game)

I could of swore I heard of something like that sans the VR part but I just can't put my finger on it.

Kommando_Kaijin wrote:

I could of swore I heard of something like that sans the VR part but I just can't put my finger on it.

Was it a light novel, a manga, or an anime? most of my ideas aren't super original but japan is known to have a concept for anything.

I think the concept of "Sci-fi war but they think it's a game but it's real" has just been done a lot, I think Ender's Game is what I was thinking of initially but it doesn't have giant robots. it has a kid commanding an entire army to commit the omnicide of an alien species.

Not to say it can't be done good though.

It comes down to execution. Like when I first thought of this idea

it was more like modern earth young adults being selected by aliens to.remotely pilot mecha to fend off an opposing threat that endangers earth and the alien's homeworld. Kinda like animorphs and arguably zixx in a way

A futuristic setting in which gladiatorial battles between mechas are the single most popular sport in the world. However, an authoritarian, militant government seized recently control over society and subsequently banned private ownership, developement or construction of mechas, out of fear that such mechas could be used by the growing resistance movement against them. Thus the official mecha battle league came to an end, as the only legal mechas are owned by the military or government-approved corporations.

However, in the unsupervised underbelly of society the thrilling sport of mecha battles continues to thrive: Freelance engineer teams construct mechas from scrap material and components bought on the black market and pit their customised mechas against those of rival teams in underground arena battles hosted by kingpins of the local organised crime. Despite all risks involved hundreds of die-hard mecha fans flock to these illegal battles, and lots of cash is involved in the form of entrance fees, bets and of course victory prizes.

The government rarely gets wind of such battles taking place, but when it does it answers with a swift and brutal crackdown. Arena battles can suddenly turn into a chaotic mess as military mechas and commandos bust into the place to confront the illegal mechas while panicked spectators caught in the crossfire run for their lives.

The Protag and his team, a group of young, talented freelance engineers, dreamed of attaining fame and fortune in the mecha league, but as it got outlawed they saw no other option for themselves but to join the underground battles. Soon they find out that not all teams build and pilot their mechas for money and fame. One of their rival teams turn out to be in fact part of the resistance, using the arena battles as testing ground for their mechas and to look out for potential recruits. Realising the talent of the Protag's team, they try and eventually succeed to convince them to join the resistance.

Eventually the resistance launches a full scale uprising, with the Protag team participating in the climatic battle of the resistance mechas vs the military mechas. The resistance emerges victorious, ousting the authoritarian regime and restoring peace and freedom in their world. The mecha ban gets lifted, and Protag and his team, now lauded war heroes, can at last pursue their dream of becoming the champions of the reestablished official mecha battle league.

Last edited Aug 08, 2019 at 01:27PM EDT

Mecha, slice of life, yuri, harem, isekai, that then changes the narrative after episode 3. Then has a disappointing and unsatisfying ending. That's what popular now a days and what sells that sweet, sweet merch all across the world. Come get your titty animu mouse pads and a 16 cm half naked statue starring the main girl here.

Fearful Harmony wrote:

*(Replace motorcycles with mechas)

That could actually be an interesting idea.

The Mechas could have poor endurance or poor battery/fuel life and the motorcycles could be used as carriers of sorts to extend the operating range of the mechas.

A giant motorcycle appears over the horizon and launches a giant mecha into the battlefield and quickly retreats. The mecha has an hour to finish the fight before it runs out of the power/fuel required to return to the motorcycle.

A Neon Genesis Evagelion like series where all the mechs resemble Vocaloid characters and are piloted by fat sweaty NEETs from 8Chan. And instead of a mind link its powered by their dicks instead.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!