69 posts from 30 users

I'll list my opinions about the karma system in a pro/con manner:
Pros:
-Forces people to consider the quality of their posts
-Allows you to see how popular a user is
-Lets you get an idea of what kind of posts/pictures are popular
-Lets you make an anonymous statement about someone's post
Cons:
-Prevents people from giving their real opinions about different things, because they would care about the karma impact too much if they believed their idea would be unpopular
-Two words: Karma Whoring
-Allows new or ignorant users to make unfair judgments about another user based on their karma count or karma/post ratio
-Encourages stupid threads like ones where everyone insults a user for karma
-Bad for morale. Even if you have a fantastic karma/post ratio, aren't you still unhappy that you must conform to everyone else's expectations of you? There are also (as mentioned) threads in which people have gotten tons of -karma that will hurt their k/p ratio, and some people care about that for some reason…
So IMO the cons really outweigh the pros. I am completely in favor of the idea of getting rid of total karma counts in profile pages. If that happened, we would still have the benefits listed without most of the cons.
I would really like to see more posts that actually try to be insightful or intelligent, but are as of now stifled by the need to post what people want to see. I have noticed a few users that actually couldn't care less about their karma ratio, and I applaud them for maintaining their integrity.
On a side note: Really? That many people upvoted themselves?

I DO NOT want karma. In fact, give me negative karma.

More information about the karma you're given and received is now shown in your profiles.

Note: Your profile karma stats aren't updated immediately after you vote or get voted on.

Ponies 4 teh lulz wrote:

I'll list my opinions about the karma system in a pro/con manner:
Pros:
-Forces people to consider the quality of their posts
-Allows you to see how popular a user is
-Lets you get an idea of what kind of posts/pictures are popular
-Lets you make an anonymous statement about someone's post
Cons:
-Prevents people from giving their real opinions about different things, because they would care about the karma impact too much if they believed their idea would be unpopular
-Two words: Karma Whoring
-Allows new or ignorant users to make unfair judgments about another user based on their karma count or karma/post ratio
-Encourages stupid threads like ones where everyone insults a user for karma
-Bad for morale. Even if you have a fantastic karma/post ratio, aren't you still unhappy that you must conform to everyone else's expectations of you? There are also (as mentioned) threads in which people have gotten tons of -karma that will hurt their k/p ratio, and some people care about that for some reason…
So IMO the cons really outweigh the pros. I am completely in favor of the idea of getting rid of total karma counts in profile pages. If that happened, we would still have the benefits listed without most of the cons.
I would really like to see more posts that actually try to be insightful or intelligent, but are as of now stifled by the need to post what people want to see. I have noticed a few users that actually couldn't care less about their karma ratio, and I applaud them for maintaining their integrity.
On a side note: Really? That many people upvoted themselves?

I DO NOT want karma. In fact, give me negative karma.

never stopped me before. i was even banned for a few days
and one more thing: what is my total Karma

Last edited Jul 12, 2011 at 04:44PM EDT

I think some will like it more that others.

Sucks to be RF right now.

Funny how the past can jump back a nip you in the butt sometimes.

o hai.
thanks for the new karma system…

with a whopping -30 karma every time i open my profile i will never forget that everybody on this site hates me… thank's KYM i feel so much better now…

i must say that right now, i find it diffcult to be jolly at all when life pretty much sucks ass at this point…

There's some sort of error now with the karma. The system now seems to only update your karma whenever you update your profile. I know it's not that important, but it is tedious to have to update your profile just to update your karma. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Last edited Oct 09, 2011 at 11:18AM EDT

Kalmo wrote:

There's some sort of error now with the karma. The system now seems to only update your karma whenever you update your profile. I know it's not that important, but it is tedious to have to update your profile just to update your karma. Is there anything that can be done about this?

It updates automatically over time, but editing your profile forces it to update imeadiatly.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!