Forums / Media / Video Games

38,650 total conversations in 2,704 threads

+ New Thread

Hellena Taylor, Bayonetta’s original voice actress, says she was offered only a flat rate of $4000 to reprise the role for Bayonetta 3. She turned it down.

Last posted Nov 13, 2022 at 07:40AM EST. Added Oct 15, 2022 at 03:14PM EDT
11 posts from 6 users

Source and other parts included

This comes after Platinum Games claimed she couldn’t reprise it due to “overlapping circumstances .” She was since replaced by Jennifer Hale.

Just for perspective, $4000 is equivalent to 66 copies of Bayonetta 3 sold. Hellena is obviously being undervalued to hell. And this was the third and final offer.

Hideki Kamiya is not taking the news well:

Voice acting takes a lot of work. Hellena Taylor and all the others who worked hard for their roles deserve better.

Last edited Oct 15, 2022 at 03:16PM EDT

Kamiya blocks EVERYONE, it’s his whole gimmick on Twitter. Also you left out how she disrespected Jennifer Hale by saying she shouldn’t sign any Bayonetta merch because Taylor feels she’s the only true Bayonetta, and asking people to boycott the game, nevermind the hundreds of devs who spent five years working on the game.

I’m legit having a panic attack over this whole thing because I love Bayonetta and want 3 to succeed so the series can continue and I don’t like that someone is calling for a boycott. Yes I understand I’m probably being extremely selfish but it’s true I am in fact freaking out, and as I said Taylor is honestly being selfish herself with what she said about Jennifer Hale taking over and wanting to boycott something devs spent five years working on. This isn’t like a Bluzzard situation where many people suffered from the actions of the higher ups, it’s one disgruntled actor who yes got a raw deal but I’ll be famed if she wants a series I love deeply to fail all because of it.

Last edited Oct 15, 2022 at 07:38PM EDT

Mistress Fortune wrote:

Kamiya blocks EVERYONE, it’s his whole gimmick on Twitter. Also you left out how she disrespected Jennifer Hale by saying she shouldn’t sign any Bayonetta merch because Taylor feels she’s the only true Bayonetta, and asking people to boycott the game, nevermind the hundreds of devs who spent five years working on the game.

I’m legit having a panic attack over this whole thing because I love Bayonetta and want 3 to succeed so the series can continue and I don’t like that someone is calling for a boycott. Yes I understand I’m probably being extremely selfish but it’s true I am in fact freaking out, and as I said Taylor is honestly being selfish herself with what she said about Jennifer Hale taking over and wanting to boycott something devs spent five years working on. This isn’t like a Bluzzard situation where many people suffered from the actions of the higher ups, it’s one disgruntled actor who yes got a raw deal but I’ll be famed if she wants a series I love deeply to fail all because of it.

On one hand while Ms. Taylor should chill a bit, I do think what Kamiya did in terms of giving her a flat rate and not raising it so he'd have her quit is scummy. Like Hale is likely just as expensive as the other union actors so it's clearly him or someone else at Platinum wanting Taylor out of the role and not a case of costs.

Also it seems as if Grey DeLisle is siding with Helena. Note that she's returning for Bayonetta 3.

Last edited Oct 15, 2022 at 07:49PM EDT

4000$ for that kind of position is absolutely abysmal offer for her to voice act that game and without a doubt was designed to force her to quit. They would have been simply better off just offering the position to someone else instead of trying to extort them and causing this mess.

As for the call to boycott, it won't really affect sales overall. Most people won't know or care that this happened to her and buy the game regardless despite that Platinum scummed their own main voice actor. It's just a reminder that game companies have too much power in the decisions they could make and this case might as well been an act of discrimination for giving her that low of pay for the experience she had.

For me, this is gonna leave a permanent stain on Platinum's record, and it's shameful that they'd do this to such a great actor.

This just in, his Twitter account is officially gone. As in it’s not like you look him up and he’s blocked you. As in the guy deleted his Twitter after people kept clowning on him and telling him to pay his voice actors better.

Derptastic Derp Man wrote:

This just in, his Twitter account is officially gone. As in it’s not like you look him up and he’s blocked you. As in the guy deleted his Twitter after people kept clowning on him and telling him to pay his voice actors better.

I heard that he also got restricted by Twitter for a breif time because he wrote something like"I warned you" and unusual account activity (probably because he blocked everyone like a child instead of giving some meaningful defense to the accusations.)

At the end of the day, Platinum has killed my interest in playing Bayonetta 3, a game that me and many others have been looking forward to play for a long time.

You are aware Kamiya isn’t even the director, producer, or even casting guy on Bayonetta 3 right? He’s not even the CEO of Platinum and he isn’t the guy who makes these decisions, all these people are doing is attacking the wrong person and I don’t blame him for not wanting to deal with Twitters brand of idiocy.

And dude I JUST pointed out HE BLOCKS EVERYONE. It was his entire gimmick on Twitter, he’s been doing it for damn near a decade. Watch Nick Robinsons video on it.

Last edited Oct 16, 2022 at 05:15PM EDT

Honestly, gimmick or not, I'm just glad people are realizing Kamiya's pretty xenophobic. Calling fans of his work "idiots" or "insects," basically blocking non-Japanese people, etc. If you ask me, both he and Helena are acting very unprofessional about this.

Just as an FYI Kamiya's Twitter is back up. Google translating his most recent tweets as of this post he said it felt "liberating" to actually delete the account temporarily so wouldn't surprise me if he just leaves twitter for good one day should people continue to bother him about stuff he has no control over.

I mean remember this is the same dude who is sick and tired of people constantly asking why Bayo 2 and 3 are exclusive to Nintendo platforms despite it being made clear many times in the past (that the games wouldn't exist were it not for Nintendo funding development).

Mistress Fortune wrote:

Just as an FYI Kamiya's Twitter is back up. Google translating his most recent tweets as of this post he said it felt "liberating" to actually delete the account temporarily so wouldn't surprise me if he just leaves twitter for good one day should people continue to bother him about stuff he has no control over.

I mean remember this is the same dude who is sick and tired of people constantly asking why Bayo 2 and 3 are exclusive to Nintendo platforms despite it being made clear many times in the past (that the games wouldn't exist were it not for Nintendo funding development).

It would seem there has been a new development in the story. Jason Schrieir released a journalist story saying that Taylor was offered 3-4k per session and would have had 5 sessions. They claim that Taylor demanding a six figure salary for the job. Taylor claims that that statement is a lie.

At this point, I really want somebody to actually bring documentation to back up what they say. I can trust Bloomberg over Taylor for now. Even if I still believe that $15,000-$20,000 was a lowball for the lead position, claiming that they were offered 4k for the whole game is extremely disingenuous.

Depending on how this goes will change my stance on this issue. Taylor better be able to back her words up with some real evidence, otherwise I don't think she will be able to salvage this situation. I will withhold my prior judgement on this case for now, and am willing to give platinum the benefit of the doubt until Taylor can really back up her words.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!