Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,921 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

If more badges were added, what are specific tasks you believe should be worthy of a badge?

Last posted Apr 11, 2016 at 05:40PM EDT. Added Apr 03, 2016 at 01:31PM EDT
40 posts from 17 users

I believe this site would benefit from more titles and some title upgrades, but even more importantly what I believe would improve the site's user-dedication would be building upon the badge system. These badges from what I've observed are given either for participating in an event, winning a contest, or completing a difficult task -kinda like getting rare items in an MMO.

Just recently a lot of users got the I VOTED badge for voting in the April Fools meme presidency contest, which was a good first step to popularizing the badge systemand it really shows that the people running this site want to involve and please the community with something special, even if it is with an imaginary Meme Scouts badge system.

What task(s) do you believe users should have to overcome in order to be worthy of claiming a specific kind of badge?

Last edited Apr 03, 2016 at 01:33PM EDT

Actually, the mods have been working on more badges/titles recently. They were implemented a few days ago.
Gensokyo Resident
Comicologist
Fleet Admiral
Music Maven
Vineologist
Wielder of the Fire Emblem
Shrine Maiden

Note that some of these new badges and titles were given to more than one user – I just listed one per badge.
Gensokyo Resident and Shrine Maiden are Touhou badges.
Comicologist is exactly what it sounds like.
Fleet Admiral is KanColle badge.
Music Maven is also what it sounds like.
Same with Vineologist.
Wielder of the Fire Emblem is for FE specialization.

I'm naturally inclined to doubt any encouragement that would come out of the badge system, after all they're only badges but perhaps we could make them work like achievements? The thing is, I do believe I recall a similar discussion a while ago and little has changed but maybe you have a point..

Mom Rivers wrote:

Actually, the mods have been working on more badges/titles recently. They were implemented a few days ago.
Gensokyo Resident
Comicologist
Fleet Admiral
Music Maven
Vineologist
Wielder of the Fire Emblem
Shrine Maiden

Note that some of these new badges and titles were given to more than one user – I just listed one per badge.
Gensokyo Resident and Shrine Maiden are Touhou badges.
Comicologist is exactly what it sounds like.
Fleet Admiral is KanColle badge.
Music Maven is also what it sounds like.
Same with Vineologist.
Wielder of the Fire Emblem is for FE specialization.

Wow wow wow okay that first link showed a user that had five badges and relatively low numbers in all pie-chart categories. I feel a bit cheated now tbh.

There should be an official list of all possible badges one can gain and an explanation of how to gain each one.

Wow wow wow okay that first link showed a user that had five badges and relatively low numbers in all pie-chart categories. I feel a bit cheated now tbh.

Badges aren't awarded proportionally to how much you do. 3 of ShiJo's 5 badges are given for things not related to quantity – the Sleuth badge, the PS badge, and the Meme Constituent badge. The Media Mod badge was given for edits, which you can't see, and the Touhou badge was given for doing well with Touhou related stuff, such as cleaning the Touhou gallery.

There should be an official list of all possible badges one can gain and an explanation of how to gain each one.

There is this. It's old, however. Combine that list, with this one and the one I gave above, and you get something close to a complete list, if not a full one. Maybe I'll combine them later.

Also, shouldn't this be in Q&A? It's asking a question and requesting an answer. You aren't suggesting any ideas.

Last edited Apr 03, 2016 at 03:04PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I know some good ideas for badges.

KYM Police Officer – A semi-mod badge to flag anything inappropriate and breaking the KYM rules.

Paraphilist – For submitting fetish images / videos / entries (Fortune and I should have one by now).

Gamer Gator – For reporting the latest GamerGate news.

Treasure Hunter – For submitting more than over 5000 images / videos.

>KYM Police Officer – A semi-mod badge to flag anything inappropriate and breaking the KYM rules.

Does it comes with powers too?

Okay, serious question. What does "semi-mod" implies? Also, most of those suggestions seems awfully self-centered?

I am not against more badges, but think they are for the public and not yourself. Just saying.

Edit: Pharapilist could be a badge and I support giving it to Fortune for contributing A LOT on paraphilia related entries and media

Last edited Apr 03, 2016 at 06:32PM EDT

I believe this site would benefit from more titles and some title upgrades

We already implemented new titles not too long ago (like not even half a year ago).

To already add even more titles is overkill.

Cry me a river.

Paraphilist – For submitting fetish images / videos / entries.

Lol we actually had this idea too.

Treasure Hunter – For submitting more than over 5000 images / videos.

There's already a title that comes with that: Treasurer.

But I do like the idea this presents of giving a badge with the highest titles of each site section (entries, media, posts, media edits). Kinda a nice way to show that this person has reached the highest tier in their respective area, and as an added bonus even mods and folks with custom titles could flaunt their stats that way. In looks I'd prefer these to be more like the mod badges than the special badges.

Okay, serious question. What does “semi-mod” implies?

Like Scrapbooker I think, but on more areas.

Before we could even discuss badges on this we'd first need to discuss the entire point of giving users semi-mod powers on other areas as well.

But a special sort of badge for someone who reached Scrapbooker (aka can edit media) is a nice idea.

Last edited Apr 03, 2016 at 06:58PM EDT

Maybe add a badge (or title) for helping out in the Video Cleaning, Commment Cleaning, and Image Cleaning threads so more people will help with that

RandomVids wrote:

Maybe add a badge (or title) for helping out in the Video Cleaning, Commment Cleaning, and Image Cleaning threads so more people will help with that

I could see like a "media helper" style badge working. Or something along those lines since comments are not media.

I guess, to repeat what I posted in the other thread:

I had an idea of making it to where you would automatically get a badge for uploading images to 1,000 different galleries. Something like “memetically diverse” or similar name. This would encourage users to actually use galleries correctly and seek out different things to upload. This would require admin work however, and I think quite a bit of it too, so this idea may be impractical.

Seeing as the only way to do this now would be manually see where uploads are, I don't think it's a great idea ATM, but it might be useful in the future.

Gabenus Trollucus wrote:

KYM Police Officer – A semi-mod badge to flag anything inappropriate and breaking the KYM rules.

I thought this what we had the Protip Advisor Badge for.

RandomMan wrote

a special sort of badge for someone who reached Scrapbooker is a nice idea.

Agreed. It may be a little redundant, but it won't hurt anything.

Really, large amount of work on relatively large subcultures that don't already have a badge could be seen as badge worthy if people start contributing more to them.

While I know the IRC circle jerk is beloved by the rest of the community maybe we can make a badge for people who go there on a relatively regular basis.

The only other suggestion I have ATM that hasn't been suggested anywhere is a "KYMtheologist" badge for people involved in either making injokes or perpetuating them. Of course this could encourage more people trying to force their own injokes… so maybe a bit hesitant there.

Jill wrote:

I could see like a "media helper" style badge working. Or something along those lines since comments are not media.

I guess, to repeat what I posted in the other thread:

I had an idea of making it to where you would automatically get a badge for uploading images to 1,000 different galleries. Something like “memetically diverse” or similar name. This would encourage users to actually use galleries correctly and seek out different things to upload. This would require admin work however, and I think quite a bit of it too, so this idea may be impractical.

Seeing as the only way to do this now would be manually see where uploads are, I don't think it's a great idea ATM, but it might be useful in the future.

Gabenus Trollucus wrote:

I thought this what we had the Protip Advisor Badge for.

RandomMan wrote

a special sort of badge for someone who reached Scrapbooker is a nice idea.

Agreed. It may be a little redundant, but it won't hurt anything.

Really, large amount of work on relatively large subcultures that don't already have a badge could be seen as badge worthy if people start contributing more to them.

While I know the IRC circle jerk is beloved by the rest of the community maybe we can make a badge for people who go there on a relatively regular basis.

The only other suggestion I have ATM that hasn't been suggested anywhere is a "KYMtheologist" badge for people involved in either making injokes or perpetuating them. Of course this could encourage more people trying to force their own injokes… so maybe a bit hesitant there.

From my perspective it's an absolute no on the IRC badge. The reason for this is the IRC, as mods have VERY insistently claimed, is not considered part of the site and therefore should not contribute to badges. Also there's a HEFTY abuse of the basic 6 forum rules, even by Riff Raff standards there which again displays it's treated as a separate entity from the site, even if it is a contributor to the site.

As for KYM Theologist I think a badge named "Injoker" with a pic of KYM-Tan wearing a jester's hat would be a more proper suit.

Yeah but you also got banned from the IRC for spamming and being rude to people so I question whether your opinion on it should be considered or not

I know for a fact you still hold a grudge against it

Last edited Apr 04, 2016 at 01:34AM EDT

From my perspective it’s an absolute no on the IRC badge. The reason for this is the IRC, as mods have VERY insistently claimed, is not considered part of the site and therefore should not contribute to badges. Also there’s a HEFTY abuse of the basic 6 forum rules, even by Riff Raff standards there which again displays it’s treated as a separate entity from the site, even if it is a contributor to the site.

It's often used by the community, mods and staff members, I believe that is enough like to be considered as a part of the site. We never said it was "not related", we treat it as a separated section because it has its very own rules and culture.

That however, is a different topic. Let's not use emotions and bad experiences to decide what should merit a badge or not.

Mmmmm I wonder about that. The IRC is constantly changing, people come and go and while it's indeed related and used by many enough like to be another part of the site I find it difficult to award people for being part of a chatroom.

I think it's hard to determine who would deserve such badge, ¿who would you give the badge and what do you take into consideration to give said badge?

¿What are the standars? That's what I'm getting at.

Last edited Apr 04, 2016 at 02:55AM EDT

^Also adding the fact that we a dozen of skype groups, steam groups, and even an entire forum for just Pokemon roleplay (*writes down Filthy Roleplayer badge*).

What makes IRC unique (other than being better)? Also you gotta take into consideration that the best candidates are folks who stopped using the forum because of it. You'll be rewarding them for quitting, which is a reward by itself lol.

RandomMan wrote:

^Also adding the fact that we a dozen of skype groups, steam groups, and even an entire forum for just Pokemon roleplay (*writes down Filthy Roleplayer badge*).

What makes IRC unique (other than being better)? Also you gotta take into consideration that the best candidates are folks who stopped using the forum because of it. You'll be rewarding them for quitting, which is a reward by itself lol.

Unlike the others, the IRC chat is officially linked to on the site after rules on the top of every normal user page. I didn't think more reason than that would be required.

@Loli I was thinking for users that seem to be on IRC constantly like chanserv. Look at the stats and see who has the most activity and base it off that. Of course, if they are just "there" and never contribute anything we can factor that in too.

Of course if it's a bad idea, it's a bad idea, I was just throwing it out there.

^ this is a good idea and maybe it will make less people deactivate because "they were mean so im just going to leave the site instead of fixingbthe problem i started" only to realize that they liked using the site and want to come back. and just also give the badge the most insulting title ever as well

RandomVids wrote:

^ this is a good idea and maybe it will make less people deactivate because "they were mean so im just going to leave the site instead of fixingbthe problem i started" only to realize that they liked using the site and want to come back. and just also give the badge the most insulting title ever as well

>inb4 half the core users deactivate to get a free badge

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

>inb4 half the core users deactivate to get a free badge

I will refuse to reactivate their accounts because of that.

Hilarity ensues.

For whenever eventually this happens, a badge/title for someone relatively active with a 10 year old account.

Because lemme paraphrase RM a few years back.

Only someone whose been on the site 10 years can be called an old fag.

Thus, the Old Fag badge.

If an IRC badge was a thing here's some potential standards

- needs to be active (rip dpf)
- has to be top 15 in irc stats
- must be a relatively frequent poster in the IRC

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

Undead Badge – Awarded for fighting a ban and winning your account back.

Please try to not use this thread as your soapbox for your rants. Likewise, try to not derail it with joke suggestions.

Thank you.

That was a legitimate suggestion and in no way meant to soapbox.

In that case keep it serious, don't try to suggest badges for yourself only… unless you actually want that. In that case they are going to be flat out rejected.

Think big, not small.

Edit: and I add

All suggestions are accepted here.

Which doesn't give you the authority to derail your very own thread. Stay on topic.

I find most of these suggestions to be extremely self-centered. This is no different that asking for the badge. God knows this isn't so different than custom titles and damn we know how people literally begged for them.

Personally I find the IRC badge as a not so good idea. The idea behind badges were:

• Given for contributing to the site
  • As a prize in certain contests and/or special events

The IRC doesn't fall in either of those categories. Just being part of a chatroom doesn't really justify a badge, without mention how kinda elitist it sounds.

Last edited Apr 06, 2016 at 10:15AM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Loli wrote:

Please try to not use this thread as your soapbox for your rants. Likewise, try to not derail it with joke suggestions.

Thank you.

That was a legitimate suggestion and in no way meant to soapbox.

In that case keep it serious, don't try to suggest badges for yourself only… unless you actually want that. In that case they are going to be flat out rejected.

Think big, not small.

Edit: and I add

All suggestions are accepted here.

Which doesn't give you the authority to derail your very own thread. Stay on topic.

I find most of these suggestions to be extremely self-centered. This is no different that asking for the badge. God knows this isn't so different than custom titles and damn we know how people literally begged for them.

Personally I find the IRC badge as a not so good idea. The idea behind badges were:

• Given for contributing to the site
  • As a prize in certain contests and/or special events

The IRC doesn't fall in either of those categories. Just being part of a chatroom doesn't really justify a badge, without mention how kinda elitist it sounds.

That was a legitimate suggestion and in no way meant to soapbox. All suggestions are accepted here. Also, maaaybe back off since I made this thread.

I'm wondering what good editorship-related badges there would be.

Resourceful – Badge obtained for adding 200 external reference links across all editorships.

Format-Friendly – Badge obtained for displaying advanced formatting skills across a large array of editorships.

Ann Hiro wrote:

For whenever eventually this happens, a badge/title for someone relatively active with a 10 year old account.

Because lemme paraphrase RM a few years back.

Only someone whose been on the site 10 years can be called an old fag.

Thus, the Old Fag badge.

If you're just here to rub one out, do it elsewhere.

Badges for account age milestones are actually a cool idea. So good job, you actually ruined a good idea.

All suggestions are accepted here. Also, maaaybe back off since I made this thread.

Creating the thread doesn't grant you any authority over it. Get off your high horse.

Stop making suggestions for self-centered badges, it's derailing the focus from cool badge ideas to you. Consider this time a warning.

Resourceful – Badge obtained for adding 200 external reference links across all editorships.

Can't be auto-tracked, also lame.

Format-Friendly – Badge obtained for displaying advanced formatting skills across a large array of editorships.

Actually a cool idea. Difficult to pool "advanced" though. Just external references and image tables ain't gonna cut it.

Last edited Apr 05, 2016 at 07:44PM EDT

My opinions on everything suggested thus far:

• Kym Police Officer – I'd sooner want to mod a guy this diligent.
  • Paraphilist – I'm fine with this.
  • Gamer Gator – I’d rather not give Controversies badges.
  • Treasure Hunter – Your obliviousness hurts me at the soul, Gaben.
  • Video/Comment/Image Cleaning – I’d sooner want to mod a guy this diligent.
  • IRC Badge – No.
  • Badge of Shame – Given how it can be so easily farmed, nah. Maybe something a little more novel like force their Avatar to be a Sudoku board for a full week after they reactivate and disable their ability to self-deactivate for a whole year.
  • Oldfag Badge – I’m okay with this as long as the people who receive it have actually been almost completely active those 10 years. Not disappearing for months or years at a time.
  • Undead Badge – No.
  • Resourceful – I’d rather a string of Titles rather than badges.

Has anyone gotten all max titles yet? Is anyone worthy of Grandmaster yet?

Last edited Apr 06, 2016 at 07:58AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

My opinions on everything suggested thus far:

• Kym Police Officer – I'd sooner want to mod a guy this diligent.
  • Paraphilist – I'm fine with this.
  • Gamer Gator – I’d rather not give Controversies badges.
  • Treasure Hunter – Your obliviousness hurts me at the soul, Gaben.
  • Video/Comment/Image Cleaning – I’d sooner want to mod a guy this diligent.
  • IRC Badge – No.
  • Badge of Shame – Given how it can be so easily farmed, nah. Maybe something a little more novel like force their Avatar to be a Sudoku board for a full week after they reactivate and disable their ability to self-deactivate for a whole year.
  • Oldfag Badge – I’m okay with this as long as the people who receive it have actually been almost completely active those 10 years. Not disappearing for months or years at a time.
  • Undead Badge – No.
  • Resourceful – I’d rather a string of Titles rather than badges.

Has anyone gotten all max titles yet? Is anyone worthy of Grandmaster yet?

For each maxed title someone should get a badge signifying they maxed out. If someone gets all 4 badges someone should get the Grandmaster badge.

If someone has Grandmaster and his the highest level of moderator or is an admin, then they should get the God badge.

RandomMan wrote:

Paraphilia Badge concept idea: Just the regular badge outline…

…except 5 times the size of regular badges.

Probably work better if it was a badge for egotism. Or maybe a badge for Egoraptor. Hm… maybe a badge for Egocr- USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS JOKE

Good idea for entries though would be a badge not given for editorships, but a badge given for submitting the most new undeadpooled entries in a year. That way users would be promoted to find new entries that need to be documented.

Badges for being horseshit aren't gonna happen. You nerds would consider any type of award a reward, which is next to the last thing you deserve.

If the badge is something you yourself would have high odds of getting, it's going into the trash.

Last edited Apr 08, 2016 at 10:50AM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

A badge of shame: A badge given to those who are generally unliked by the populace, or whatever other reason you can think of.

Yes, let's futher increase the circlejerk and hatebagon against a particular user.

Seriously? Come on, are you people even trying anymore? This is why I don't like leaving badges suggestions to the userbase. Granted, most of these suggestions comes from people who thinks titles and badges equals to a greater status on a wiki-meme site.

Can't we just have badges for contributing to the site in a meaningful way? And no, reaching all tiers on every title or be hated by the community doesn't counts as "contributing".

Put a little bit of effort in suggesting sutff that isn't for yourself pls.

How about a sports badge of some sort(s)? It's true that I'm into sports myself, but there are a lot of sports memes and entries that people contribute to, and there's a strong couple of users here in the forums who consistently make and post in sports threads.

I think that would be good especially since sports and other "normie" stuff is a bit looked down upon, but it also points out to other users who might know about Pat Summit's son getting one of his players pregnant or following the Warriors trek to regular season history.

Not too sure about the Paraphilia badge, it seems like it's rewarding users for adding content that tiptoes the line between what the site allows and what it doesn't. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

Speaking of Badges, we should have a gaming-related badge, for either researching or uploading images related to all video games in general. I was thinking of titles like "Pro Gamer" or "Gamingologist" or something like that.

Also, agreed on the idea of automatic badges being given to users who get the highest ranking auto-titles.

Max wrote:

Speaking of Badges, we should have a gaming-related badge, for either researching or uploading images related to all video games in general. I was thinking of titles like "Pro Gamer" or "Gamingologist" or something like that.

Also, agreed on the idea of automatic badges being given to users who get the highest ranking auto-titles.

I recall seeing a fake gaming badge in a thread once posted I believe by RandomMan for making badges to give for various tasks. Seems like a good idea given how important gaming is to memes.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!