Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,921 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

The Process Of Gaining An Editorship Needs Improvement

Last posted Mar 07, 2016 at 01:37PM EST. Added Mar 05, 2016 at 06:10PM EST
5 posts from 5 users

When requesting an editorship I can almost guarantee I will not gain a response to said request, so the 'Request Editorship' button isn't particularly helpful. Contacting admins has a delay to it, and I've recently been waiting for over 24 hours at least on a single editorship after having contacted multiple admins. The entry is OneyNG if curious and please don't steal the editorship :p.

I do not want to play a guessing game of which mod/admin should I contact, how long should I wait before I try another, should I contact more than one at once, etc.

I propose a new process should be put in place that makes it so users can more easily obtain an editorship without dealing with the present guessing-game system, that way the site has more entries with more editing going on for said entries. I'm aware more isn't always better, but with the present system that favors bureaucratic slowness, I recommend some kind of reform be put in place so that more people can edit more easily without edits being done by random n00bs that don't know what they're talking about. Any ideas on what to do?

Last edited Mar 05, 2016 at 06:11PM EST

If I understand you correctly, the issue primarily is on entries with entries that are old, mostly complete, and/or have only inactive/mostly inactive editors. I'd have to agree, on entries like that the system could use an upgrade. Maybe there should be an area for entry mods to see all requests for editorship? And if they don't like the request, they could delete it from the list. I'd be in support of that.

Okay, so before I explain what I think will work, let me explain how the "request editorship" button works, or, at least did work.

When an editorship request or a suggest change page is submitted, the information is emailed to (I belive) all the users that worked on the entry. Users can then choose to listen to the request and make a decision based on that. Obviously, if all the users that worked on the entry are inactive/ deactivated you won't get a response.

However, things change for mods. When I became an image mod (I did not have entry powers at this time) I received huge floods of emails about ALL editorship requests and change suggestions on the entire site. On entries I never worked on, and would not be able to address unless I was granted editorship myself. And at first you may think, "Wow there are a lot of people that want to help" Well guess what? 99.9% of these were complete trash. Editorship requests would be " I think this meme is funny" or a smiley face or a whole slew of other things that I would I would be more likely to ban for wasting my time than grant editorship to.

And if you thought that wasn't good enough, there's the suggest changes button, which does not require an account to use. I don't know how, but we would get random conversations on the thing, like somehow the thing was picking up random text messages from people or something. Then a whole bunch of other things that, again, I'd rather ban a user over for wasting my time than listening to.

So, like most of the other mods, I tried to listen, but after a certain point, a few hundred emails that were total crap, I just marked them all and any future such emails for deletion. That's been about two years now. I've never turned this filter off since then.

If you really want editorship for an article you didn't start yourself, PM a mod with entry powers. On most of my short entries I write so I can move images, because the admins seem to refuse to move images, I'm pretty much willing almost anyone to work on it. If you seem at least 30% competent, I'd probably let you have editorship to most entries that I still feel need work. If I actually know you and you seem like you can help the entry I'll grant you editorship to pretty much any entry.

Bottom line, PM an entry mod and don't use the request editorship button if you actually want editorship.

Last edited Mar 05, 2016 at 09:32PM EST

Mom Rivers wrote:

If I understand you correctly, the issue primarily is on entries with entries that are old, mostly complete, and/or have only inactive/mostly inactive editors. I'd have to agree, on entries like that the system could use an upgrade. Maybe there should be an area for entry mods to see all requests for editorship? And if they don't like the request, they could delete it from the list. I'd be in support of that.

There's a tab in the admin area which shows all received suggestions.

Never got why there isn't one for editorships. Just add a "accept" and "reject" button below each request which either auto-adds them or deletes the request.

>waiting 24 hours

Tbh, deal with it.

You're requesting editorship, so there can be a delay. If you're expecting to always be added within a few hours at most, then you'll find no succesful system.

I agree with RM about the speediness of this process! It's never going to be instantaneous. But you are right – maybe there's a way to put it into the CMS somehow as opposed to editorships being an email-only type of request. I'll check into that.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!