63,534 total conversations in 189 threads

Locked Locked
[Creative] KnowYourMeme-themed Pokémon hack

Last posted Mar 05, 2015 at 11:27PM EST. Added Apr 22, 2014 at 08:44AM EDT
988 posts from 127 users

:) wrote:

Ugly robot-feather

Seconded.

I'm going to try to make some sprites today. Maybe for myself, maybe for others, maybe for people I want to see in the game. Regardless of who I do, I'll do it.

I tried making the small icon-sprite for mine, but I found I'm really not good at that. If one of you guys could attempt mine, don't feel obligated to but it'd be great if you could (what I wanted to do was have the Glaceon icon sitting with its paw on the rim of the Specs as usual; frame one has the glasses over its eyes completely, in frame two the glasses are pushed slightly downward to match my current avatar; too tricky for me considering how small the icon is)

That aside though, I made the backsprite (a barely-edited Glaceon backsprite because lazy) as well as the shiny sprites:

That Glaceon wrote:

I tried making the small icon-sprite for mine, but I found I'm really not good at that. If one of you guys could attempt mine, don't feel obligated to but it'd be great if you could (what I wanted to do was have the Glaceon icon sitting with its paw on the rim of the Specs as usual; frame one has the glasses over its eyes completely, in frame two the glasses are pushed slightly downward to match my current avatar; too tricky for me considering how small the icon is)

That aside though, I made the backsprite (a barely-edited Glaceon backsprite because lazy) as well as the shiny sprites:

You gave me an idea to make myself useful.

Didn't know whether Tony and Paige were trainers or not, but here they are anyway.

I did this while sick too, with a fever of 101.9 and a ridicolously sore throat.
(yes, I'm forcing you to feel bad for me. Now do it.)

Last edited May 10, 2014 at 02:53PM EDT

Slime Cap wrote:

Didn't know whether Tony and Paige were trainers or not, but here they are anyway.

I did this while sick too, with a fever of 101.9 and a ridicolously sore throat.
(yes, I'm forcing you to feel bad for me. Now do it.)

Also, mini sprites (The two on the right of each pokemon) lack shiny sprites, no need to change 'em.

The small sprite was just a feather, because I don't know how to shrink the sprite to a recognizable 32×32 icon.

Also, I can remove the… you know… thing at the butt, if you don't like it.

Fillerthefreak wrote:

The small sprite was just a feather, because I don't know how to shrink the sprite to a recognizable 32×32 icon.

Also, I can remove the… you know… thing at the butt, if you don't like it.

Wow, guys, you all are really dedicated to this, huh?
Now I wish that I was good with MS Paint so that I could help you all out on doing the sprites – but I guess I'll have to just support from the sidelines for now.
Just wait – when Shadowman resolves his personal problems and finally gets back online for good, I'm betting he's gonna be thrilled with the progress.

It's great to see that a lot of talented people are helping with this.

And then there's me who can't even find a decent ref image. Seriously this is the best i could find

EDIT: ok to be honest, that's just what i want my battle sprite to look like. The ACTUAL best i could is this one (Ignore glowing blue dude)

Last edited May 10, 2014 at 06:53PM EDT

Fish Dick wrote:

It's great to see that a lot of talented people are helping with this.

And then there's me who can't even find a decent ref image. Seriously this is the best i could find

EDIT: ok to be honest, that's just what i want my battle sprite to look like. The ACTUAL best i could is this one (Ignore glowing blue dude)

Fillerthefreak wrote:

Also, mini sprites (The two on the right of each pokemon) lack shiny sprites, no need to change 'em.

Wish someone told me that earlier.

Slime Cap wrote:

Wish someone told me that earlier.

There is a shiny mini Bublasaur sprite hidden in the code for a gen 3 or 4 pokemon game (I forget), which means it was planned, but was canned for some reason.

Bit off-topic, though.

Alright, finally got my internet running right, so I can get back on KYM.
So, a few things…

First, Filler's sprites.
Well, Filler, I can say I'm impressed with the work you've done so far, but you still have a few things that you should work on. First of all, you need to make your sprites a lot smaller for the most part… especially their backsprites. Remember, you cant resize sprites as you are putting them in the game, so you have to make them proportionate. That big of a Porygon-z isn't going to look right next to a Zangoose, which is bigger than a Porgyon-z to begin with. If Mega Porygon-z's sprite is bigger than another Pokémon's sprite that in reality is bigger than that Pokémon, it's just not going to look right.
Now for the backsprites. You are going to want to make the front sprites a lot smaller, because you have the same amount of space with the backsprite, and you want to make that one bigger, so it seems more close to you. But you can't make the backsprite too big, like I said before, you want it to be proportionate. I mean, jeez… Your backsprite? It's taking up the whole thing! Needs to be a lot smaller than that, given how big you are. The frontsprite on the other hand, is pretty good, size-speak. The detail I'll talk about later.
As for the icon sprites… The only one I can really say you did a good job on was Mega Porygon-z's, but it doesn't take much to see that it was just edited off the normal sprite. I mean, even Sanic's… I know that it's initial art was bad, but I mean come on… That's as if the original creator made that himself. Perfect example… Take a look at my take on Rake.

See… Even though the deviantart version was as simple as Sanic, I still gave it a lot of detail. Just because who you're spriting is bad, that doesn't mean the sprite should be bad. As for the different colorations, Slime Cap, I don't know where you got the idea that icon sprites are also shiny, but you're wrong. Even in X and Y, the icon sprites are the normal color regardless. The alternate coloration Bulbasaur that was mentioned however, is not shiny.
This is the icon you're thinking of:

(Sorry, this is the only image of that I could find) And here are Bulbasaur's sprites:

As you can see here, in the first place, that's not even Bulbasaur's shiny palette. That sprite was used for the Missingno that's number is #000 in the national dex in the game. It's sprite serves as the little question mark in the pokedex with a pokemon you haven't seen yet. The sprite's color? It's just a normal Bulbasaur coloration, just set in one of the other 3 color palettes, I mentioned in an earlier post. It can be restored to Bulbasaur's normal colors if you just change the palette back. So, yeah… shiny sprites for the icons are not needed.
Oh, and Filler? Please make sure whoever you sprite hasn't been sprited yet… I've already done Bazaar's sprite, which is on the Google Doc, shown here:

Speaking of, Filler, if you have a google account (gmail, or something), I please ask that you drop by the sprite doc, so that maybe you and I could IRC chat. I'd kind of much more prefer talking to you in real time to give you some pointers and discuss what we're going to do with sprites versus PMing eachother back and forth.

Now… As far as things go concerning the actual game, I haven't been able to work on it at all today, given how freaking busy I've been with other work. But, I promise I'm going to try to get as much stuff as I can done tomorrow, to make up for yesterday. (but after I call me my mom… y'know, for mother's day. But that could last well over an hour, knowing her…)
Also, the sprite for the awesome person is coming along well. It's just going to take me a bit, but I'll post it here once they're done.
I also went back and did some of the programming, and I tweaked some of the trainer's teams to gradually higher levels throughout the game, for two reasons: to increase the game's difficulty, and to give off more experience so that you will be more ready when it comes to the end of the game.

So, that's it for now, sorry for the delay.

Damn, I was just about to post a WIP sprite I was making for myself, but now I realize I probably have to completely overhaul it. Oh well!

Slime Cap wrote:

(extremely autistic newfag)

Sorry… I forgot to mention in my previous post that I really would prefer if you guys didn't do the shiny sprites. I already have the colorations picked out, I'm just getting everyone's sprites done and then once that's done, I can go back and polish the sprites, and make them shiny.
Another thing… Please heed the "incomplete" label on the doc. If it says it's incomplete, that means that the sprite is not done, and not ready for a shiny sprite in the first place. So, your work on Tahrdan, Slapperfish, PenguinKing etc are in vain, since I'm going to have to redo their sprite anyways.
Plus, you guys kind of started doing sprites without my permission in the first place, which sort of annoys me, since I just had that conversation in previous posts, with the other user using my sprites without my permission. Just because you're not using my sprites doesn't mean you can do things without my consent. So… I kind of would prefer if you would stop doing those sprites, since I already have my own outlines of each person's already. I'm just going down the list of the ones I'm going to fill in, and then once one of you post your own sprite of someone I already have started, you all want their sprite to be used, and then I have to scrap mine.

So in conclusion, I would really prefer you would ask my permission regarding anything with this project, and I would also prefer if you wouldn't do any more sprites. I know I mentioned in a previous post that I encourage spriters to help out, but again, I also mentioned that you need to contact me first, and not just jump right in. We need to discuss which ones we're going to do, first of all, so there's no mix ups.

Also, please keep in mind that the sprites on the doc are no where near as many as I have in progress. I have almost everyone's name that's on the doc's sprite at least outlined, if not needing to be tweaked.

Last edited May 11, 2014 at 01:03PM EDT

Shadow Man wrote:

Sorry… I forgot to mention in my previous post that I really would prefer if you guys didn't do the shiny sprites. I already have the colorations picked out, I'm just getting everyone's sprites done and then once that's done, I can go back and polish the sprites, and make them shiny.
Another thing… Please heed the "incomplete" label on the doc. If it says it's incomplete, that means that the sprite is not done, and not ready for a shiny sprite in the first place. So, your work on Tahrdan, Slapperfish, PenguinKing etc are in vain, since I'm going to have to redo their sprite anyways.
Plus, you guys kind of started doing sprites without my permission in the first place, which sort of annoys me, since I just had that conversation in previous posts, with the other user using my sprites without my permission. Just because you're not using my sprites doesn't mean you can do things without my consent. So… I kind of would prefer if you would stop doing those sprites, since I already have my own outlines of each person's already. I'm just going down the list of the ones I'm going to fill in, and then once one of you post your own sprite of someone I already have started, you all want their sprite to be used, and then I have to scrap mine.

So in conclusion, I would really prefer you would ask my permission regarding anything with this project, and I would also prefer if you wouldn't do any more sprites. I know I mentioned in a previous post that I encourage spriters to help out, but again, I also mentioned that you need to contact me first, and not just jump right in. We need to discuss which ones we're going to do, first of all, so there's no mix ups.

Also, please keep in mind that the sprites on the doc are no where near as many as I have in progress. I have almost everyone's name that's on the doc's sprite at least outlined, if not needing to be tweaked.

Well, now I'm kinda glad that I didn't try my hand at making new sprites.
Looks like we'll have to find different ways to help you out while you're gone, Shad.

Shadow Man wrote:

Oh…

well…

alright, we'll take our sprites and put them back in our PCs. No worries.

" "

i just wanted to help, what was done wrong with my life

Last edited May 11, 2014 at 04:53PM EDT

I don't really have the skill in proportions to sprite correctly, I can't really do pixel art.

I dunno if I should continue, or just be lazy and sit there, as my art is pretty flawed.

BTW: Can someone tone down the checker effects on the porygon sprite? As it doesn't look good.

Viuff, The Ancient Waifumancer wrote:

yeah i have checked that already
but it does not answer my question

i still don't know if my spirit is being worked on or if it haven't even been looked at yet

If you don't have an image in the googly doc, chances are that there's no progress on a sprite for you yet, or at least nothing worth seeing

Hey Shadow, I've got two questions regarding elements of the actual game:
1: How are you handling TMs and Move Tutor moves? Will they give the same moves as they do in the original game, or are you able to change what move a TM or Move Tutor gives you? I imagine you can't make TMs infinite like they are in Gen V and Gen VI.

2: What are you going to do about the Gym Leaders and Elite Four?

To answer your questions, Choco Taco, I have started on your sprite, as well as many others', I just post the sprites on the doc that are finished, or almost finished.
Snarbolax, I'm most likely keeping the TMs, just because I don't really know what else to put in. As for the gym leaders and the elite four… I'll wait for that, and reveal little by little later, once my program for inserting trainer sprites is working again.

Now… In a couple of previous posts, I was kind of a jerk. I was just kind of aggravated at things that were going on with me right then, but I'm okay now.
As sort of an apology, I'd like to present to you this:

(Just for the record, you have no idea what I went through to get SRJ's overworld sprite in… it was a pain, I'll just say that.)

Hey.

I'm going to redraw the inaccurate sprites I drew.

How tall does each pokemon need to be, as it's confusing? Just give a height for your characters when requesting them.

Honeytiger wrote:

Wow, you don't have enough users? I thought more people would want to be in it…

Considering there are about 400 or so space needed, it seems pretty reasonable.

Rawer wrote:

I volunteer! I would like to be black robotic velociraptor, with neon green eyes.Type would be Steel/Electric.

Reference, dude. You gotta get a reference picture. A full-feature version of your avatar seems like a good start (needing body, legs, arms, tail, all that crap)

Shadow Man wrote:

Alright, finally got my internet running right, so I can get back on KYM.
So, a few things…

First, Filler's sprites.
Well, Filler, I can say I'm impressed with the work you've done so far, but you still have a few things that you should work on. First of all, you need to make your sprites a lot smaller for the most part… especially their backsprites. Remember, you cant resize sprites as you are putting them in the game, so you have to make them proportionate. That big of a Porygon-z isn't going to look right next to a Zangoose, which is bigger than a Porgyon-z to begin with. If Mega Porygon-z's sprite is bigger than another Pokémon's sprite that in reality is bigger than that Pokémon, it's just not going to look right.
Now for the backsprites. You are going to want to make the front sprites a lot smaller, because you have the same amount of space with the backsprite, and you want to make that one bigger, so it seems more close to you. But you can't make the backsprite too big, like I said before, you want it to be proportionate. I mean, jeez… Your backsprite? It's taking up the whole thing! Needs to be a lot smaller than that, given how big you are. The frontsprite on the other hand, is pretty good, size-speak. The detail I'll talk about later.
As for the icon sprites… The only one I can really say you did a good job on was Mega Porygon-z's, but it doesn't take much to see that it was just edited off the normal sprite. I mean, even Sanic's… I know that it's initial art was bad, but I mean come on… That's as if the original creator made that himself. Perfect example… Take a look at my take on Rake.

See… Even though the deviantart version was as simple as Sanic, I still gave it a lot of detail. Just because who you're spriting is bad, that doesn't mean the sprite should be bad. As for the different colorations, Slime Cap, I don't know where you got the idea that icon sprites are also shiny, but you're wrong. Even in X and Y, the icon sprites are the normal color regardless. The alternate coloration Bulbasaur that was mentioned however, is not shiny.
This is the icon you're thinking of:

(Sorry, this is the only image of that I could find) And here are Bulbasaur's sprites:

As you can see here, in the first place, that's not even Bulbasaur's shiny palette. That sprite was used for the Missingno that's number is #000 in the national dex in the game. It's sprite serves as the little question mark in the pokedex with a pokemon you haven't seen yet. The sprite's color? It's just a normal Bulbasaur coloration, just set in one of the other 3 color palettes, I mentioned in an earlier post. It can be restored to Bulbasaur's normal colors if you just change the palette back. So, yeah… shiny sprites for the icons are not needed.
Oh, and Filler? Please make sure whoever you sprite hasn't been sprited yet… I've already done Bazaar's sprite, which is on the Google Doc, shown here:

Speaking of, Filler, if you have a google account (gmail, or something), I please ask that you drop by the sprite doc, so that maybe you and I could IRC chat. I'd kind of much more prefer talking to you in real time to give you some pointers and discuss what we're going to do with sprites versus PMing eachother back and forth.

Now… As far as things go concerning the actual game, I haven't been able to work on it at all today, given how freaking busy I've been with other work. But, I promise I'm going to try to get as much stuff as I can done tomorrow, to make up for yesterday. (but after I call me my mom… y'know, for mother's day. But that could last well over an hour, knowing her…)
Also, the sprite for the awesome person is coming along well. It's just going to take me a bit, but I'll post it here once they're done.
I also went back and did some of the programming, and I tweaked some of the trainer's teams to gradually higher levels throughout the game, for two reasons: to increase the game's difficulty, and to give off more experience so that you will be more ready when it comes to the end of the game.

So, that's it for now, sorry for the delay.

… you trying to kill Sanic's vibe?

Ok, gang, I have a much better drawing of my proposed sprite appearance in the game:

I added some details from a Skifree-related profile pic (back when my user name was "Endless Skiing"), as well. I'm not sure about the goggles, but the scarf seems alright.

Sorry for being inactive. Finals and stuff are chewing up my free time.

Fixed up a few things.

-Teeth where redone to blend in less.

-Made outline in-between the two legs black, to make them easier to read.

-Redid the awful scaling on the back sprite.

Fillerthefreak wrote:

Sorry for being inactive. Finals and stuff are chewing up my free time.

Fixed up a few things.

-Teeth where redone to blend in less.

-Made outline in-between the two legs black, to make them easier to read.

-Redid the awful scaling on the back sprite.

Yeah, should've removed the thing on the backsprite. Looked like a blank vagina.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!