Forums / Fun! / Memeory Lane

63,534 total conversations in 189 threads

Locked Locked
[Moving Images] Avatar: TLA / Legend of Korra General

Last posted May 11, 2015 at 02:43PM EDT. Added Mar 20, 2012 at 11:11PM EDT
2194 posts from 104 users

When tenzin said that shaving their head was choice, I gotta wonder if aang took a couple weeks off from shaving his head and grew his hair out again every once in a while. Remember, katara said she liked his hair a lot.

When tenzin said that shaving their head was choice, I gotta wonder if aang took a couple weeks off from shaving his head and grew his hair out again every once in a while. Remember, katara said she liked his hair a lot.

I think not. I mean, after the war he and others were responsible for rebuilding the world. It would be sloppy if he occasionally changed his hairstyle from bald tot hairy when he has serious things to take care of (in public)

Perhaps he made a wig from his shaved hair in case he and Katara want tot spent soms 'private time' together ;)

Question:

During the flashback, Toph said that Suyin would be staying with her grandparents when she left the city, but never specified which side they would be on. This can mean one of two things:

1) Toph patched things up with her parents enough that she was comfortable with dropping her daughter in their lap on short notice.
2) Suyin's father wasn't just a hookup, but was a long-term enough relationship that she knew and was friendly with the guy's parents (she might even still be with him at that point).

Given what happens in this comic, it looks like a reconciliation between Toph and her parents is the more likely of the two, but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

Update: Just checked Dante DiMartino's page, the rest of the series will stream on Nick.Com, the Nick app, along with Amazon, Google Play, Xbox, Hulu.

Thank god, I was worried it would only stream on sites that require subscription but since it's also on the nick app and their website no need to worry about that.

Eddwords wrote:

Update: Just checked Dante DiMartino's page, the rest of the series will stream on Nick.Com, the Nick app, along with Amazon, Google Play, Xbox, Hulu.

Thank god, I was worried it would only stream on sites that require subscription but since it's also on the nick app and their website no need to worry about that.

And what about countries outside the US?

Eddwords wrote:

Oh good, now you can watch it online in HD.

I actually haven't watched this show since 2008.

Hows it progressed since then, and should I start watching it again, because I did like it.

Spirit Coyote wrote:

I actually haven't watched this show since 2008.

Hows it progressed since then, and should I start watching it again, because I did like it.

I really enjoyed Book 1 of Korra. I'm only a bit through Book 2, so can't comment on how it is now. Perhaps someone who's current with the show has better authority on this than me..

Maybe start with a couple of episodes, and if you like them, go on from there :) just my two-cents

Metadrama aside, today's episode was so-so. The fight scene was really cool, (And would make a great boss fight for the video game.) even if Korra should have done something and Bolin's Chekhov's Gun shouldn't have been so forced. And while I enjoy Verrick being the most useful person there, they really shouldn't have made it so obvious that Aiwei was the mole, plus Bolin should really have learned to metalbend at some point, perhaps either during the fight scene to get the surprise attack in or to help tear down the metal wall. Still, the fact that I'm nit-picking about minor details probably means the episode was all-in-all rather good and I'm just looking for things to complain about at this point.

The episode's fight scene is beast. Absolutely love it. Only thing I don't like about it is how this is the fourth time the Red Lotus have failed. They're starting to look kinda lame getting their cans kicked all the time.

Another thing I didn't like too much is Aiwei was too obvious. And yeah… the whole part was pretty predictable -- until the end that is; I thought team avatar was going to foolishly drink Aiwei's tea, but nope! BOMB

Great fight scene, a bit weak on the plot. Still, the plot thickens and leaves us wondering wherever will Korra's team go. Can't wait for the next episode.

Ricenburg wrote:

The episode's fight scene is beast. Absolutely love it. Only thing I don't like about it is how this is the fourth time the Red Lotus have failed. They're starting to look kinda lame getting their cans kicked all the time.

Another thing I didn't like too much is Aiwei was too obvious. And yeah… the whole part was pretty predictable -- until the end that is; I thought team avatar was going to foolishly drink Aiwei's tea, but nope! BOMB

Great fight scene, a bit weak on the plot. Still, the plot thickens and leaves us wondering wherever will Korra's team go. Can't wait for the next episode.

To be fair, the Red Lotus people have not actually lost a fight this whole season: they successfully broke each other out of jail (even when they were expected), were able to get in and out of Air Temple Island without getting caught, escaped Republic City, and were holding their ground against an entire city until Lin was able to grab Korra from them.

So far, what victories have been scored against the Red Lotus have come from either luck or subterfuge, and not from direct combat, though that winning streak might end once they face Korra in all her avatar-state glory.

So the Red Lotus (Which really should be the Black Lotus.) is in it for philosophical reasons, or "philosophical mumbo jumbo" as the ever-wise Avatar calls it. I have to say, it's very fitting for the early 20th century aesthetic LOK has going on. Anarchy was rather popular back in the day…
Also, >MFW the Red Lotus is going to rescue the Avatar like the Blue Spirit did in The Last Airbender.

My speculation is that the Red Lotus believes in a world without an Avatar and the people work together to keep balance. They believe they should not rely on one sole person and be a collective mass. Just a thought.

What I'm wondering is if the Red Lotus is a larger organization in hiding, like what the White Lotus used to be, or if it's just Zaheer's group…

I would like it if when Korra is lead off to another Earth Kingdom prison, a Red Lotus operative snatches her or something…

@arlon

>MFW the Red Lotus is going to rescue the Avatar like the Blue Spirit did in The Last Airbender.

"Rescue" is a word that should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Now, let's all dicuss about The Stakeout, finally tells us who these Red Lotus are and all the mumbo jumbo philsophy.

One word: Anarchy. Interesting to see what the Red Lotus is, I can't say I agree with everything they said, but it makes a little sense. Without the oppression of leaders like the fire lord, governed by the people to achieve balance to the world. Funny how I was sorta right with my original guess, but this time Korra is a bigger part. Wonder who all these characters like Xai Bau and the airbender guru Laghima have to do with all this. I wouldn't say Zaheer and the Red Lotus are "evil", they mean good for the world and the airbending nation, just perhaps not in the best way. I really want more of this serious philsophical story influenced by East Asian ideas, very interesting and a great way to continue on the Avatar story.

Also, the ending.

Uh…

Last edited Aug 02, 2014 at 12:54AM EDT

Well…shit. Things just got bad really quickly. In-universe, anyways. Things got great from the meta perspective.
But on the other hand, it feels so good to get rid of the Earth Queen because, wow, was she awful or what? (Though, in her defense, she probably never ate anyone's pet since she's allergic to animals. Maybe made into a rug or something but not…helping, am I?)
Plus, it's crazy to see someone use airbending without regards to the conventional Air nomad morality. The OPest abilities are always given to the people least likely to use them. As nature intended.
That being said, I like how Zaheer isn't your generic villain in that he doesn't walk into a room and…suck the life out of it by being all "the infinite darkness renders all unto nothingness, king and peasant alike, from dust all are made and from dust all return to" and instead actually tries to be seemingly, genuinely pleasant with people because he truly wants a better world. He's not a hammy monologuer and I like him for that. Also, lel, the amount of character development the Red Lotus got in this episode rivals what Team Avatar has gotten this entire season.
That being said, I thought that the radio worker bowing to Zaheer as he steps aside was probably one of the most beautifully subtle things I've ever seen in the show, because I felt like it was a way to show how you can overthrow the abusive monarchy, but you can't just instantly make everyone become independent free spirits who always think for themselves. Kind of gets into what humanity's "true nature" is and stuff.
So, yeah, awesome episode, things are finally heating up. And maybe Bolin will learn to metalbend at some point!

Is anyone else kinda rooting for the Red Lotus? Because, you know, they are doing some pretty awful things, but it's kind of hard to cheer for freaking monarchy. I'm kinda hoping we get a "what they said but with less violence" resolution out of this.

Platus wrote:

Is anyone else kinda rooting for the Red Lotus? Because, you know, they are doing some pretty awful things, but it's kind of hard to cheer for freaking monarchy. I'm kinda hoping we get a "what they said but with less violence" resolution out of this.

That's kinda what happened last season, right?

Matau, Toa Of Air wrote:

That's kinda what happened last season, right?

You mean Season One? Because, yeah, if the Equalists hadn't turned out to be needlessly violent, I would have been rooting for them.

Also, part of my problem with them was that I never really got the impression that non-benders were dis-empowered. I mean, Asami and her father (and also the Cabbage guy) were non-benders who had become major industrialists, and Sokka was at one point the Water Tribe representative for Republic city. I mean, that the Equalists were able to get so much support might indicate that there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we aren't seeing, and that Asami et al are the exception rather than the rule, but if that's the case then I would have a problem with Mike and Brian for not showing that.

Platus I agree with you. I don't know if I completely agree with anarchy, but the Red Lotus have good intentions.

I mean, they're badasses.

Also, they're pretty cool people.

You know I always wondered about suffocating using airbending. Always thought it was possible, but of course the nomads would never do it.

It was mildy unsettling to see the Earth Queen die, I mean the way she did was pretty intense. But her ruthless monarchy is over.

Last edited Aug 10, 2014 at 04:57PM EDT

@GaryTheStoßtruppen

You know what this show needs? It needs a Gandhi – someone whose opposition to injustice is equally matched by their dedication to non-violence. Or, at the very least, someone like Aang who will use violence but with some self-restraint.

And I agree that it's hard to be mad at the Red Lotus. I just hope the show doesn't reveal some nonsense "they had some unspeakably evil ulterior motive all along" crap at the end to retroactively discredit them. That would feel like cheating.

Platus wrote:

@GaryTheStoßtruppen

You know what this show needs? It needs a Gandhi – someone whose opposition to injustice is equally matched by their dedication to non-violence. Or, at the very least, someone like Aang who will use violence but with some self-restraint.

And I agree that it's hard to be mad at the Red Lotus. I just hope the show doesn't reveal some nonsense "they had some unspeakably evil ulterior motive all along" crap at the end to retroactively discredit them. That would feel like cheating.

You're right. Aang was a very likeable character that had restraint. He played the role of the last airbender very well, holding the thousands of years of Airbending beliefs and traditions maturely for his age. I don't know if I like how aggressive Tenzin is now, especially this season. Rebuilding the nation is very important obviously, but the way he did it, "recruiting" individuals and the vigorous boot camp, not something airbenders are about. It's comparable to the Dai Li, snatching up and forcing them to work.

Zaheer mentioned the Guru Laghima, and how he became disconnected with the world and was able to learn the secrets of wheightlessness. We need more of this lore.

Zaheer is a very particular airbender. He knows much of the Air Nation and its history. He even had the glider. Despite so, he is very hostile, murdering the Earth Queen. Of course that's for the removal of tyrannical rulers, but like I said earlier, Air Benders would never do such a thing like that.

I applaud the writers with the creation of the Red Lotus. They keep to traditional Asian mythology, beliefs, and ideas very well. This is all very very interesting.

Gary wrote:

You're right. Aang was a very likeable character that had restraint. He played the role of the last airbender very well, holding the thousands of years of Airbending beliefs and traditions maturely for his age. I don't know if I like how aggressive Tenzin is now, especially this season. Rebuilding the nation is very important obviously, but the way he did it, "recruiting" individuals and the vigorous boot camp, not something airbenders are about. It's comparable to the Dai Li, snatching up and forcing them to work.

Zaheer mentioned the Guru Laghima, and how he became disconnected with the world and was able to learn the secrets of wheightlessness. We need more of this lore.

Zaheer is a very particular airbender. He knows much of the Air Nation and its history. He even had the glider. Despite so, he is very hostile, murdering the Earth Queen. Of course that's for the removal of tyrannical rulers, but like I said earlier, Air Benders would never do such a thing like that.

I applaud the writers with the creation of the Red Lotus. They keep to traditional Asian mythology, beliefs, and ideas very well. This is all very very interesting.

Not just Tenzin, Korra too – she is way more aggressive than Aang was. I mean, look how heavily she uses firebending.

I think heading in a more Aang-like direction would be a good avenue for her character development. It would certainly fit in with the first two seasons, where she had to learn airbending and then gain access to the spirit world. Non-violence seems like the logical next step.

Platus wrote:

Not just Tenzin, Korra too – she is way more aggressive than Aang was. I mean, look how heavily she uses firebending.

I think heading in a more Aang-like direction would be a good avenue for her character development. It would certainly fit in with the first two seasons, where she had to learn airbending and then gain access to the spirit world. Non-violence seems like the logical next step.

That'd be the logical story for Book 4. Korra matures and learns to control the world, maintain the peace, while being at peace herself.

Wow. The past few episodes are starting to sound dangerously close to The Purge. I try not to bring up politics, much less intertwine it with a cartoon, but I really hope the ending of the series isn't as statist as these recent episodes have been.
On a side note, kudos to whoever at Nickelodeon opted to not use the word "end" as a substitute for "kill". That euphemism got old a while ago.

What's really fascinating is how influenced by so many political ideologies this show has become. We see the struggle between everything from tyranny, republicanism, constitutional monarchies, mini-anarchism, and anarchy in full. And the craziest thing I can say is that this revolves around what Is happening in our world right now, the conflict of everyone's political interests. Maybe, just maybe, THATS why Nick cancelled the show. It's far too intelligent, thoughtful, insightful, and wise to be shown. They don't want us to think…

Last edited Aug 11, 2014 at 06:21PM EDT

What's really fascinating is how influenced by so many political ideologies this show has become. We see the struggle between everything from tyranny, republicanism, constitutional monarchies, mini-anarchism, and anarchy in full. And the craziest thing I can say is that this revolves around what Is happening in our world right now, the conflict of everyone's political interests. Maybe, just maybe, THATS why Nick cancelled the show. It's far too intelligent, thoughtful, insightful, and wise to be shown. They don't want us to think…

Wait, since when was it cancelled? And if it was cancelled, then why can I still watch all the episodes on their website?

Last edited Aug 11, 2014 at 09:14PM EDT

Myconix wrote:

Wait, since when was it cancelled? And if it was cancelled, then why can I still watch all the episodes on their website?

It's not cancelled – we're getting the rest of season 3 and all of season 4, just like Nick promised. It's just switching to online-only. No more TV spot. Because Nick doesn't like fun things.

So it's good to see Iroh again. Nice scene with Zuko on the wisdom of what Aang would do. Hope we get to see the Fire Lord next season.

Something's bugging me though. Zaheer clearly stated he wouldn't hurt anyone if they didn't do anything. But no, Tenzin attacks, risks everyone, and the airbenders don't get away. Zaheer said himself he doesn't want to hurt Korra, and I doubt he wanted to destroy the airbending civilization. Everyone just needs to calm down.

Gary wrote:

So it's good to see Iroh again. Nice scene with Zuko on the wisdom of what Aang would do. Hope we get to see the Fire Lord next season.

Something's bugging me though. Zaheer clearly stated he wouldn't hurt anyone if they didn't do anything. But no, Tenzin attacks, risks everyone, and the airbenders don't get away. Zaheer said himself he doesn't want to hurt Korra, and I doubt he wanted to destroy the airbending civilization. Everyone just needs to calm down.

There's a theory going around that Zaheer was the one who killed Aang. At first I just passed this off as another fan theory, but given Tenzin's usual behavior and reaction to the situation, makes it seem even more likely that Zaheer really was the one who killed Aang.

Baron O Beefdip wrote:

There's a theory going around that Zaheer was the one who killed Aang. At first I just passed this off as another fan theory, but given Tenzin's usual behavior and reaction to the situation, makes it seem even more likely that Zaheer really was the one who killed Aang.

Hm, interesting.

Still, Zaheer's idea of thinking is anarchy. I don't see why he'd kill Aang, and how he would. Besides, wasn't he a nonbender? Though you're right, Tenzin did have an intense reaction.

Friend on Skype: Tenzin just died.
Me: Oh he’s probably lying, he loves to troll people like this. :) watches episode
Tenzin, to Zaheer the Vacuum Creator: As long as I’m still breathing, it’s not over.

So my heart stopped for a bit today.

Kotor wrote:

I found a fan theory that talks about why Zaheer killed Aang. I found it to be an interesting read.

This was interesting indeed, though I have a few issues:

- Why wouldn't Korra know who this guy is? I mean, once you know that you're a reincarnated famous person, the question "why did the last me die?" is the sort of thing that would simply come up. And if the answer is "murder" then of course she would ask "by whom?" If this theory is going to be true, then they will need to explain why Korra was kept in the dark.

- Why would using energy bending to give someone power be more "unnatural" than taking it away? I mean, Aang only took people's bending away in dire circumstances, or if he really had to, but given the gravity of the air nation being lost one would think that he would be cool with the idea.

- Also, the closest we have seen so far of someone giving bending powers with energy bending is Korra restoring bending in people who lost it. We have not actually seen anyone use that ability to give bending to someone who didn't already have it. This is a big deal, because if Aang's answer was "I don't have that ability" rather than "I don't want to" then Zaheer would have no reason to be resentful.

- How exactly does their anarchy tie into capturing the avatar? I know that now Korra would be a powerful ally, but when she was four? I mean, they could brainwash her, but it would take many years for her to be old enough to be useful and they would have to keep her in hiding the entire time while everyone was looking for her – not exactly an easy thing. And it's not like they can just kill her, since she would just reincarnate. If they really do what to overthrow the world's governments, why not just avoid her?

- The "Aang used up his energy in the iceberg" bit was actually confirmed by word-of-God before the series started. That article also confirms that it was his idea to redeploy the White Lotus.

- The origin of the Air Acolytes is covered in the comic series, and Zaheer is not among them.

- It doesn't cover the relationship with Tarrlok, which from what we know seems to be fairly integral to Zaheer's backstory.

Now, none of this is a deal-breaker in the wider sense, since the writers could simply explain it away, but it does mean that a few of the specifics of the theory are likely wrong. Still, I really like the idea. It makes Zaheer a lot more interesting.

Actually, now that I've thought about it, there's another possibility: what if they're the reason why Sokka died.

I mean, we have an explanation for why Aang is dead, but Sokka wasn't much older, and he never spend a century living in an ice burg.

Hell, Zuko is even older than Sokka, and he's still alive.

I have no idea what the details might be. But if we're going for the "these guys killed a member of the old Team Avatar" thing, Sokka actually looks like the more likely option.

Lel, you're both wrong. Didn't kill either of them. Wasted opportunity? You decide.
Since we never got to see the full scope of the Red Lotus, it kinda' feels like a bit of a let-down. All the other Avatar main enemies either controlled powerful groups or became Gods. Flying is cool and all, don't get me wrong, but it feels weird to see such a small group be the main threat after watching the Avatar fight entire armies. That being said, each fight was really awesome, especially Zaheer versus Korra. And Bolin was finally useful! Lavabending seems more his style, anyways, since he's a poor street urchin and not a refined dignitary. And Kai became (somewhat) likable! How 'bout that? All in all, good season, perhaps not the best, more backstory would have been nice, which is weird since there was so much talking and such little fighting anyways. Interested to see what S4 holds, seeing as how the Spirit World problem never really got solved…

I am AHO Right? wrote:

I don't like to double post, but this is important.
>MFW I realize that Zelda Williams, Robin William's daughter, played Kuvira, who saves Korra's dad from dying:

As if the finale didn't give me enough feels.

It just hurt so much to see Korra in the wheelchair, obviously still in a great deal of pain. And the animation on the scenes of her resisting the poison are absolutely killer, the way she's resisting both the pain and her body's attempts to get rid of it, while also dealing with some serious trauma issues from the number of near death experiences she's had already.

I just want to climb through my computer monitor and give her a hug. I mean, right up until the end I was expecting Tenzin to get killed off – I was stressed out the whole time. But I guess that would have been too cruel.

Wow that episode was good.

Welp, I know I'm gonna get some hate from people for saying this, but this is definitely competing for "Worst plot of A:TLA franchise media" with M. Night Shyamalan's god-awful adaptation of the first season. "state = benevolent entity & ur best pal" is a pretty good summary of their portrayal of the Red Lotus' ideals. Seriously, the ending speech given by Tenzin sounded like a US Military recruitment advertisement at some points.
Now, does that mean it's completely bad? Not really. I confess, I am a radical when it comes to philosophy, so I'm just gonna treat everything in the above paragraph as bridge under the water. Aside from that, something else that bugged me is how Metalbenders can bend pure Mercury but not Platinum. Then again, it was never explicitly stated that the poison was Mercury. Someone could counter by saying it's the only metallic element that's liquid at normal temperatures, but they could've just made up a new metal. They definitely wouldn't be the first: Sakuradite from Code Geass and Mithril/Saronite from World of Warcraft are two examples that come to my mind.
I've gotta stop typing now, I'm over-analyzing it. So am I just a radical who's being overly negative? Probably.
Last edited Aug 22, 2014 at 08:32PM EDT

As awesome as that final fight was, I noticed a continuity error.

At the end, Korra uses the chain on her arm to grab Zaheer's leg and slam him epically to the ground. The problem is, she spends most of the fight with the chains missing. I checked the scene again, and the one she uses at the end just magically appears as they are getting pulled into the tornado.

Wow.

Again, wow. Quite a lot to take in. That was really, really, intense and emotional. No wonder Nick decided to upload it online rather than air it on television.

There were a lot of plot holes and stupid character decisions, but I don't think they're worth mentioning after everything that happened. Very impressive episode.

More destruction of ancient airbending culture. I cringe everytime that happens.

The visuals were stunning, especially the fight scenes with Mako, Bolin, Ming Hua, and Ghazan. Despite the death of 3 members and Zaheer's downfall, the Red Lotus possess a major threat to the world. The earth kingdom is in chaos, and the leaders are as vulnerable as ever.

Damn.

I anticipate next season to be Korra healing (physically, mentally, and spirtually) and restoring balance to the world. I don't really hope for violence, I'm looking for spiritual peace. I really want to see Zuko's daughter too.

It's also worth mentioning that metalbending captain, Kuriva. I think there's some forshadowing going on. That or they are just commemorating Robin Williams and his daughter. That was a nice part.

The feels this episode delivered. So. Many. Feels.

RIP Ghazan

Last edited Aug 22, 2014 at 11:45PM EDT

Also, because it's come up here and elsewhere:

You know that one metalbending captain who helps Korra's dad? According to the IMDB page, she's played by Zelda Williams – Robin Williams's daughter.

Take that as you will.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!