Forums / Media / Video Games

38,650 total conversations in 2,704 threads

+ New Thread

Splatoon 3 Direct airing Wednesday at 9 AM EST

Last posted Aug 10, 2022 at 08:09PM EDT. Added Aug 08, 2022 at 06:46PM EDT
5 posts from 2 users

“Source”:https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1556626244644503553?cxt=HHwWgoCwgc_Un5orAAAA

I figured we’d get one since Xenoblade 3 got one a month before release as well. One main thing I want to see is more information on the single player campaign, as I do hope it’s closer in style to Octo Expansion rather than Splatoon 2’s main campaign (which felt like a soft remake of Splatoon 1’s campaign). I also wonder if this will reveal this game’s new “idol” characters.

Huh I didn't realize my first post didn't link the source properly, guess it was because I made that post on mobile rather than on my PC. But anyway, onto the Direct itself.

Some of the highlights of what was shown:

-All weapons from the previous games return, and two new weapon types based on bows and katanas are brand new to this entry
-All specials from the previous games return in addition to new specials like the crab tank
-12 maps at launch with more added later via free DLC (basically following the same release model as past entries)
-Game will have "seasonal catalogues" of new weapons and gear over the next two years that changes out every three months, but I should note this is NOT a battle pass type situation, as the showcase made sure to emphasize players will only spend in-game currency and no real world money
-Dodging and boosting in squid form are two new mobility options available for all players regardless of buffs attached to weapons or gear
-Not much new info on story mode given, they probably don't want to spoil much
-"Large scale paid DLC" is in the works, likely coming out next year, probably going to be similar in scope to Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion, but the only thing we can guess so far is it'll involve Pearl and Marina given the silhouette
-Lobbies now allow players to practice on a shooting range while waiting on a match so the wait is less of a drag
-Holograms of friends will be present in the lobby if they're online
-Customizable locker in the lobby which has not only your own locker but ones representing players you recently played with.
-The items in and on the locker come from a store specifically for customization items that have no effect on gameplay, along with "splashtags" which are similar to player tags in other shooters
-In-game drawings are still present, with support for "vertical drawings" added
-A new minigame in the form of an in-universe card game has been added, which looks like a fun side mode
-The new idol group has been revealed named Deep Cut, with three members this time. Shiver (an Octoling), Frye (an Inkling), and Big Man (a large manta ray who is around a 4 on the furry scale)
-News broadcasts from them don't have to interrupt the player anymore, it can be relegated to just dialogue in the corner
-Splatfests will consist of THREE teams now for each member of Deep Cut
-A pre-release Splatfest (likely acting as a server load test for Nintendo) is being held the weekend of August 27 with the teams being themed around Rock, Paper, Scissors
-Salmon Run will have a "Big Run" mode that involves the city of Splatsville that will be a limited time event
-Splatnet on the NSO phone app will have daily or weekly challenges related to Crusty Sean (similar to dailies and weeklies in other modern multiplayer shooters), and gear you can buy that's not in the in-game shops (and again no real real money, it's purely in-game currency, which is odd I have to specify this but hey we're all aware of what other modern AAA companies like to do)
-Splat anarchy is where the non-turf war game modes will be, and all the modes from the previous games return.

And I'm sure I forgot to highlight other notable changes, but yep safe to say if you're already a fan of Splatoon then 3 will be a good example of a sequel that takes what people already liked before and just widens the scope. Still a little weird to remember it has in fact been 5 years since Splatoon 2.

I woke up late for the initial live stream, but I have watched the whole direct. I have to say, for a sequel game that’s releasing in the same gen console, some of the features in it have warnet it’s existence for being different/ enough of change to stand out from its own. Unlike some other team based fps game :^)

Gaining a sort of dodge roll ability and a way to quickly move vertically in stages will make vertical base stages a lot more favorable to players since now they have better movement options. The card based minigame seems fun for both playing and collecting art pieces. The additional customizations with the locker is something I’ve never known I wanted until now, (seriously, this series did an amazing job at encapsulating urban/youth culture.) 3-way splatfest does have an interesting twist, definitely making the pokemon starter splatfest less of a hassle in previous games.

Knowing their previous layout in Splatoon 2, we might get a bunch of new weapon types/sub/specials and probably a new game mode. For the large scale DLC, I wonder if they’ll ever involved with Mr. Grizz since many things felt off about salmon run mode and its presence. Especially when this game allows you to have a smallfry salmonid as a companion, customize it, and can even help you in certain obstacles in the story mode stages.

As someone who’s both late to get the Nintendo Switch and haven’t played Splatoon 2, I’m looking forward to getting this game once I get the funds for it.

Also, what do you MEAN a ‘4’ Mistress Fortune?! I adore him the moment he’s introduced in the direct. Big Man, I Stan.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!