Forums / Discussion / Q & A

3,277 total conversations in 495 threads

+ New Thread

Where do most memes come from?

Last posted Sep 05, 2019 at 09:25AM EDT. Added Aug 28, 2019 at 05:01PM EDT
8 posts from 6 users

I have been very involved in Reddit recently, and I heard about the Instagram refugees coming onto reddit because either their favorite meme "producer" was banned, or they themselves were a meme "producer", and were banned. Doing more research into this topic, I found people from 4chan claiming that 4chan was the main producer of OC memes, but Reddit steals them. I also saw somebody say that Reddit also steals from Twitter. Meanwhile another person says that 4chan produces only a very few oc memes and the rest of the platform feels entitled, so they say that most oc memes are produced on 4chan and are stolen by Reddit. So who produces the most OC memes and who steals them the most?

Hi, William Yonkers here. I have over 200,000 Reddit Karma points over a 4 year Redditing career and have received reddit gold points for my great posts.

Im also well known around the 4 chan community and im well respected by some of the mods (Moderators)

So Im what you might call a meme expert.

This question is actually brought up a lot! Actually memes are created and produced on various websites. Yes 4chan is responsible for creating various memes, for example the first drawing of Pepe the frog was done on 4chan see below.

But often times memes don't stay on their origin websites. I guess you can say one simply does not steal memes. No rather a meme can have a starting origin on one website but it can morph and take on new meaning in other places.

As a matter of fact for a meme to truely reach epic status it NEEDS to branch out and go to other sites. For example one of the best memes this last decade ugandan knuckles (Do you know de way) started out on the website VR chat but didn't truly gain meme status until it spread on websites like Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, and Photobucket

Does this answer your question? If you need more clarification ill be happy to add more to my post via edit

Also please don't forget to like my post, Im trying to build my karma on this site too XD

Last edited Aug 28, 2019 at 07:48PM EDT

Reddit used to steal from 4chan since the dawn of man. That was back then, before 2014.

4chan barely spawns anything noteworthy anymore. The only real big "producers" are discord trannies and /pol/-reddit scum who flood the boards with rancid derivatives of old memes. Board culture became more inner circle over the years so 4chan overall keeps to itself now.

Everything is much more equal in terms of spawning memes. Twitter, Instagram and The Cancer of the Internet (Reddit) are the frontrunners since their userbases grew so much the last five years. More people means more OC.

Yeah, it basically answers my question. To get an exact answer however, (percentage wise) I'm going to try and analyze a whole bunch of memes, figure out where they come from, and basically give answers to other people asking similiar or the same question. Thanks, @Your Uncle Yonkers!

Random people on the net, I guess. Many used to be created on 4chan back in the day, but in the end, it's the people, not the websites, and oldfags are mostly gone. Maybe making memes in their local communities.

There's also a lot less memes made now. Actual memes, not those that last a month and are quickly forgotten.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!